Ovarian Cancer Community
Dermoid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Dermoid

I was diagnosed with a dermoid (3 cm) 2.5 yrs ago. I had a few drs. (5) that looked at the ultrasound and confirmed that it was a dermoid, but I am concerned. My OB/GYN wanted to take it out, but 2 other drs. said I should just watched and wait, especially since I am planning to try and have another baby.

I am intersted if any of you were diagnosed with a dermoid that later turned (or turned out) to be cancer.

Also, I was wondering if anyone experienced a removal of a dermoid, and how you went about finding a surgeon.

Thanks!

Me.
A dermoid cyst is usually benign...it is usually recommended that it be removed by a surgeon...you should have it removed as leaving it there can cause it to create a torsion on your ovary and that means that it could twist around the ovary and cut off the blood supply and cause you to create a bigger problem and alot of pain....Please discuss with your doctor all your options and remember to get a 2nd opinion..Good luck..Gia :)
You have several issues involved here and there have been some women in the cyst forum that have some of the same issues. Also, if you look at the HealthPages at the top right you will see near the bottom a list of OTHER OVARIAN CYST SITES.  Click on the second listing under forums and that will take you to a page where women are really discussing these issue in depth and sharing their stories.  You probably won't get many good answers on here, but I would try the pregnancy forum and the new cyst forum.    Almost never is a dermoid cancerous.  Good luck.
Hello
In aug '03 i had a 9cm dermoid cyst removed from right side and 3cm removed from left side. GP refered me to local hospital for scans..as months went on cyst grew in size and as i was still young was advised to have removed. Now i have found out i have dermoid cysts again on both 5cm and 3cm. Gynae Consultant has advised me to try and conceive intead of take cysts out..as could be high risk of damage to ovaries. Though with not removing the cysts and trying to conceive i have been told the risks rupture, torsion ang infection. I fel like i am in a no win situation. My husband and i are desperate to have a first child. My previous cysts were non-cancerous. These are unlikely to be too.
Just a follow up t o my question-

thanks for all of you who answered. I know the stats. and have seen 5 drs. about it- but I was interested to know personal experience of women with OC. dermoid is cancerous in 1-2% and even my pathologist friend did not know if they turned cancerous with time, or were cancerous to begin with.

In any case, just to let you know, I had 2 kids with a dermoid, and a top OBGYn adviced to get dermoid out when they are 4 cm (mine are 3 cm and did not grow).

Best to you all and especially in going for a baby!