Ovarian Cancer Community
Diagnosed "Active Cancer Cells"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Diagnosed "Active Cancer Cells"

While in the process of donating eggs last september, the doctor had me come in for a cyst aspiration (9/9).  They sent if off for bx and I proceeded to donate on 9/16.  A week after they retrieved my eggs, the doctors office called me back and stated that I had "active cancer cells in my left ovary".  They never really explained anything about it, but did offer for me to take the long drive back for them to treat me.  What exactly does this mean, and what is likely to happen?
Tags: Cancer
I don't understand exactly what you are saying.  Are you saying back in Sept. of '09 you were told you had "active cancer cells in your left ovary" and there was no follow up or anything?  When they say "active cancer cells" are they saying you have a malignancy or what?  
You definitively need clarification of your situation and the sooner the better.
Please do keep us posted.....there are many women here who will be able to help you figure all this out by sharing their personal experiences with you.
Peace.
dian
As Dian puts it, I certainly hope you aren't saying that almost a year ago, a physican told you that you had "active cancer cells" and you haven't done anything about it, or have gone to see another physican.  Most certainly if there is any possibility that there could be a maglignancy is any way shape or form you should get into your gyn's office ASAP and have it checked out.  Unfortuantely anything left over a long period of time has time to turn into something not so good.  Please have it checked out.  Good Luck.  Jane.
Time is everything when it comes to ovca.  Catch it really early and your chances are really good.  Let it spread to late stages and chances of beating it are slim.  I cannot understand why any doc would not set you up for surgery.  I also cannot understand why you didn't get scared into doing something.  Don't wait any more!!!!  Get into a gyne/oncologist asap.  Malignancy means active cancer cells are present.  Please come back and let us know you are being taken care of.  I am a worrying Grandma and you will be in my mind.  Marie