Ovarian Cancer Community
Dian

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Dian

Hi Dian.  Thanks for your response to my post about removing my ovaries.  By the way, your story of how you managed to get your surgery with a gyn/onc within 48 hours of your initial dr appt is truly inspirational!

When I said my relatives had cancer at "relatively advanced ages," I didn't mean I thought they were old!  When I went to the genetic counselor, they said that if my family had the BRCA gene, they would expect to see the disease show up when women were in their 30's and 40's.  Since my aunts and mother were in their 60's and 70's, it seemed less likely to be a genetic reason they developed the disease.  So I have to consider that when weighing my risk factors.

Wow...that is pretty amazing...I wonder what the odds are that two women in the same family would land in the 1% or 2% of women having malignant tumors of the ovaries...the odds must be astronomical that, minus the gene, three of you could be struck with this disease. Thanks for the heads up...hope you have a great week-end. Please stay in touch and keep us posted...I will be listening for you, Suz!
Peace to you and your family
dian
The two with ovarian cancer aren't in the same biological family.  One was my dad's sister who was 76, never had kids or took bcp (she never married).  The other is my mom, who was 67 when diagnosed.  So it makes me wonder, do I have a double-dose of genes, or none at all?  I'll just take the ovaries out and stop worrying about it!

Thanks for caring,
Suzanne
Bravo!  I will second that in two seconds flat! My grand-daughters have both gramma's with cancer...her with breast and me with ovarisn....I don't know, but I don't like it either..with something on both sides of their family...and no history at all in my family...who knows...this is a strange and sometimes random disease.
So glad to hear you have decided what route you will take..at least that part is behind you.
Peace be with you.
dian