Ovarian Cancer Community
Difference between dermoid cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Difference between dermoid cyst

Recently I had an ultrasound that revealed a completely solid mass on my left ovary (approx 2 cm) and my gyn sent me for a CT scan for a better look.  She said the radiologist who reviewed the CT scan is leaning toward it being a dermoid due to calcification seen.  My question is how is it a dermoid if it is completly solid?  I hear people talking about the danger of a dermoid rupturing and spilling contents, so I am confused.  Are there two different things, a dermoid cyst and a dermoid tumor?  My dr said for me to wait 3 mos & then go back for another CT scan to see if it has grown anymore, but I am nervous about it rupturing.  Thoughts?
I am puzzled by your doctor's 'wait and see' attitude.  I do not recall ever hearing or reading of dermoids resolving on their own, like some of the common functional cysts.  Besides, if the dermoid did rupture, then it would cause pain and possibly an infection or scarring.  And, if I recall my statistics correctly, then there is also a slight chance (possibly 1-2%) of a dermoid being malignant.

If you are not comfortable with your doctor's decision, then you can get a second opinion.
Please go get a 2nd opinion.........I honestly believe we dont want these in us........the sooner they are out the better
She gave me the option to get it out immediately and risk damaging good ovarian tissue or wait for the three months.  Supposedly due to the location (in the middle I guess) and the size (she considers very small), she felt it may involve cutting out a bunch of good tissue now versus scooping it out a little easier if it was a little bigger.  Sounds wrong but logical in a way at the same time I guess.  This doctor is my second opinion, my previous gyn wouldn't even see me- kept giving me to the nurse practitioner who just kept changing my birth control pills and insisting there was nothing wrong with me!  I don't know what to do now.  I am tired of having two week long periods and being in pain, but my doctor is saying that this dermoid is too small to be causing me any pain.  I am so confused!!!!
Wow. I feel for you. I had a cyst for about a little more then a year. It was a clear cyst, so they said. I got pregnant and I had several Ultrasounds during my pregnancy to see how the cyst was growing. My doctors kept telling me that it was probably going to disappear during the pregnancy. it didn't. So I had another Ultrasound after delivering my child, and it turns out I had the exact same thing you described. The functional cyst turned out to be a tumor, dermoid ( spelling?)..etc..Now my doctor did not let me stay with it. He emphasized in surgery right away...and like you said, the pain is unbearable, eventhought it was a little over 2cm.

I had my surgery a week ago. They also found another cyst on my other ovary. I had it all cleaned up. Problem is, I'm still in a lot of pain. Pretty much like before. But my doctor says it's due to scarring of the ovary. The cyst was inside, they had to cut it open , the healing is painful.

Anyway, i'm sharing my experience with you because I really think you need to get this removed asap. It's a simple laparoscopy, you get 3 small incisions, anesthesia, and go home the same day.
Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you everyone for all of the support!!  I have a call in to a gyn oncologist for an appointment to get another opinion.  I'll keep you updated.
I posted this on the thread below, but noticed this is basically the same topic:
From what I understand, a definitive diagnosis of an ovarian mass can only be done through biopsy or surgery. Two years ago I had a pelvic exam with my primary care physician and she said all was fine. But because of a strong history of ovca in my family, she recommended a trans-vaginal ultrasound. It showed a 7 cm. mass on my right ovary, which they thought was a dermoid tumor. I then had an MRI which showed the same 7 cm. mass and again they thought it may be a dermoid tumor. I did research on it and you are all right - it sounded kind of freaky with teeth and hair! Anyway, because of my strong family history of ovca and because I was 50 years old, I decided to have a TAH/BSO. To my surprise there was nothing on my right ovary (they said it was probably a bowel loop that showed up on the ultrasound and MRI) but I did have a 3cm. granulosa cell tumor on my left ovary, which hadn't shown up on anything! I was soooo lucky because it was staged 1A and didn't have to have chemo. I have to be checked every 3-4 months and have been doing pretty well. It goes to show that tests are not perfect! Monsterinme, are you going to have surgery? Best of luck. Cindy
P.S.Julee, are you going to have surgery? And how old are you? Hopefully it is a dermoid and not cancer. Best of luck! Cindy
I don't really know what is going to happen.  I guess I am stuck with "waiting and seeing" as my regular gyn advised.  I was thinking I was going to go to a gynecologic oncologist like so many people on this board have done, but I can't get one to see me.  None of the doctors I called will see you unless you have actually had a diagnosis of cancer first.  Well duh- if I was comfortable with my first diagnosis, I wouldn't be trying to get an appointment for a second opinion!  Anyhow, to answer your second question, I am 29 years old.  I hate to let that give me any sort of false sense of confidence, as I have known too many people that age or younger with various forms of cancer.  I had a grandmother and a great aunt that both had tumors of some sort removed off of their ovaries, but it was a long long time ago and they are both now gone, so I don't know much details about theirs.
My suggestion is to get a second opinion from another 'regular' gyn, and have this doctor make your referral to the gyn oncologist.  

I just do not understand these doctors whose wait-and-see approaches are essentially risking their patients' health.  I might have stated this before, but my doctor was fully confident that my cyst was benign, yet we scheduled the surgery as soon as she had a regular surgical block open.

Busy doctors often use a variety of techniques to weed-out patients (there are a lot of hypochondriacs in the world!)  Another suggestion, if the drive is not too great, is to show up at the oncologists' front desk and request an appointment.  It is more difficult for the staff to tell you "no" in person, and it will be easier for the staff to see that you have a serious situation by the expressions on your face.
Hi Julee, are you in Canada?  I also was told I couldn't see a gyn/onc unless I had been diag.  I was 32 when I was diag'd with Stage 1 borderline ovarian cancer.  I had a large cystic tumor that was diag by accident when having a pelvic u/s for very heavy periods.  The gyn I first saw, told me to relax as I "didn't have cancer".  As soon as I left his office I made an appointment with another gyn.  It can be frustrating, but one thing is if you're not comfortable then make sure you push for what you want.  It's your body and you know best.  
Take care.
Hello every one I have a question if you know what is the diffrence between a fibroid tumor and a dermoid cyst?