Ovarian Cancer Community
Difference between upper GI and a abdominal/pelvic CT with dye contrast...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Difference between upper GI and a abdominal/pelvic CT with dye contrast

I know it is probably a stupid question, but what is the difference--esp in what they show?
I'm confused.  Are you having 2 CTs (1 upper GI, 1 abd/pelvic)? Or an upper GI study and 2 an abdominal and pelvic CT?

I had an abdominal/pelvic CT with contrast.  The contrast just means they give you some dye stuff to make things show up better on the films.  It was actually 2 CTs, they did one right after the other.  The abdominal was generally lower chest thru navel, the pelvic was more navel thru pelvis.

Thanks for the explanation.  Right now I am not scheduled for either.  I have an appt with the GI doctor on Wed.  But when I was in the ER, they did a regular CT and the dr there said I should follow-up with a colonoscopy and possibly a CT with contrast (dye).  But someone at work said, "Oh, a GI!"  So I didn't know if they were the same thing.

I also have an appt with an urologist who is going to study my CT and do a followup urinalysis since the pain is coming back stronger now that the antibiotics are done--then, his nurse said he will decide if I need a "cysto"-something of my bladder.

Thanks for explaining.
The upper GI only shows the esphogas, Stomach, and first part of the small bowel.  It does not demonstrate any organs out side of these areas.  The CT with contrast with let them visualize a lot more.  Depending on where they want the contrast to be picked up they can show different areas.  Also, the CT will let them take a better look at the pelvis.  All of these exams compliment the Ultrasound pictures.  They can then put more of a complete picture together(from all the tests) to see what is going on and where.  Hope this is clear enough.
The CT takes thin cross-sectional slices so that the doctors can see layers of the organs. You will have to drink a thinner barium for the contrast thatn what you would for an UGI and you will get an IV for contrast to highlight all the plaes that blood flows.