Dilaudid IV at home?
I keep hearing from the Dr's that they cannot write a perscription for Dilaudid via IV at home, but it's ok for them to do Dilaudid pills.

This sounds very strange...my Walgreens can dispense the dilaudid IV vials...what gives?  Are they giving us the runaround?  Anyone else take pain medications via IV at home?
Alan, my husband had IV dilauded, but it was done through home health care.  His oncologist wrote the orders, but it was handled through the agency that was on our health plan.  I'm surprised that her doctor's office didn't realize this since many cancer patients receive IV's at home.
I have vials of morphine at home to give myself injections, should I need it. My Dr also wrote me a prescription for Dilauded, but it was for pills. I know I can have IV's done at home, but it has to be done through my home health care company - they have to recieve the Dr's orders and then they can dispense it. Even when I got my morphine injections, my home health care hadn't recieved the orders from the Dr yet, so she couldn't actually give it to me (although she did show me how to give it to myself!) I hope your mom finds some relief soon - no one should have to be in pain on top of all of this.
Take care,
Becky
What other pain meds is she on?  My mom is on a fentanyl patch which works very well.  Debbie
Wallmart sells vials of dilaudid?  My doctor told me that they do not dispense dilaudid in iv form...only pills.  The pills do not work well at all.  I have been diagnosed with a transformed headache which means I have it 24/7.  It drives me out of my mind and the only way to get relief is to go to the ER.  Sometimes the doctors say there is nothing that they can do for me which drives me more in sane.  Can anyone give me some feedback so I don't end up doing something irrational?

Thanks,

***@****
Yeah, I've learned from experience that doctors WILL tell you that, but it's far from the truth.  It nearly impossible to convince them to give it to you in IV form, however.  If you have a port, you can probablly get a PCA pump for dilaudid, that's what my mom finally got at home and it worked wonders.  They like the PCA version because it's regulated.
You have got to find the right doctor (lots of trust on both sides) for him-her to dispense dilaudid IV.  I went to my pharmacist and asked her if they dispense IV dilaudid.  She said I do not think so but let me check.  Low and behold they do.  Now I am taking all literature that I can find and taking it to my doctor.  My pharmacist even said that my doctor could call her if she has any questions.
I know that dilaudid can be given by yourself im.....is it possible to give it to yourself in a vein without any side effects of danger?