Ovarian Cancer Community
Do pelvic organs move around that much?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Do pelvic organs move around that much?

Hi everyone.  I am 53, not menopausal and most probably losing my mind.  An MRI w and w/o contrast is scheduled for next week after one CT and three TA/TV's gave significantly differnt pictures.

Hopefully the MRI will find the ovary that comes and goes and will help to decide if we are looking at an ovarian mass, cysts and/or a pedunculated fibroid or an alien baby.

Has anyone else had imaging that reports disappearing and reappearing ovaries?
I don
I have had many times when an ovary cannot be found, especially the left one as the large bowel will hide it.  The right one, however, has always been seen.

Hope this helps and good luck to you both.
I have also had an US where one ovary could not be found. The tech explained to me then that they do, indeed, move around enough to hide.

Cathy
I just had a laparotomy to remove my left ovary and tube, it was stage 1A ovarian cancer.  My Dr. also has issues finding my left ovary due to the bowel being so close and the large tumor surrounding it.  They do move around somewhat, but it shouldn't be impossible to find.  Keep pushing your Dr for tests and ask the difficult questions.  I was undergoing fertility treatments when my tumor was found, now it looks like I'll be having a total hyst.  Scary how things evolve.
I am sorry I am so sceptical. However the last time I went for surgery they tried to repair a hernia on the wrong side of my body because they were reading the wrong orders. Mistakes happen, so I kind of watch out for them now.

It is nice to know others have had disappearing ovaries too. The bowel hiding the ovary at least seems reasonable. I still would feel better if I had another vs/us to make sure it is really me.

My aunt had the wrong knee operated on. She then had two bad knees. When she complained that she was being preped on the wrong knee they just put her out to shut her up. This is kind of scary for me because the same thing almost happened to me.

Thank you so much for your kind advice - it makes me feel a lot better.
Bea
Sounds like you are getting things into perspective. Sometimes we have to get to the tears before we can start seeing things more clearly. Let us know when you find anything out or simply want to vent or whine!  cyber (((hugs)))

Cathy
To hmmm73:

I am so sorry to hear about the stage 1A.  About the hyst, have you gotten a second opinion?  I am a little story for you and it may or may not compare, but...

My best friend had cervical cancer just over 6 years ago when she was 30.  She was lucky enough to only have one ovary removed despite the growing cancer.  They kicked her butt w/ chemo and radiation all at once for six months straight.

She was told she may not be able to have children, but there was still that one ovary and her uterus/cervix intact.

Over two years ago she went through fertility treatments only to have not luck.  She was told she would not have children and she stopped treatments.

September of '05 we celebrated her 5th year remission and the very next w/e she found out she was pregnant.  Her due date being the same date as the date she found out about the cancer.  April 7th, 2006 she and her fiance had a beautiful baby girl.

Against all odds, it happened.  Please get a second and even a third opinion.

I wish you all the luck, confidence and love in the world that you too could have this chance.

Domino Effect (w/tearfilled eyes)
Please read the last entry from myself and I hope it helps.

Best Wishes
Thanks to all of you for your comments and info.  I think all of you are amazing women to be here trying to help others even during and after going through these events.  My hugs and best wishes to all of you who are young and looking towards a family.

This MRI should be able to find the hiding ovary (the CT saw it mid-April) or confirm if it is what is midline/rt on my uterus.

To top off the anxiety, I became allergic to iodine contrast even while premedicated with prednisone for an IVP a few weeks ago.  I am also going to be premedicated for the MRI even though it is a different kind of contrast and even few people have allergies to it.

Since 4/15 I have been going and following up and getting tested and doing everything directed for a kidney stone, fibroid and cysts seen when I went into the Urgent Care for severe pain (that was the stone).  Then found out from routine labs that I have Hashimoto's and teeny nodules on my thryoid.

I am pretty close to tears from stress alone at this point.
BTW the thyroid is the least of my concerns at this point.  The endocrinologist said the nodules are very tiny and can be monitored.  I started synthroid a month ago and feel much more energetic...although not completely back to normal.

The kidney stone is gone too.  haha I think I passed it when a cyst burst so I never knew!
So sorry to hear about your Hyst. I am lucky my child raising days are over and I don't mind losing my female organs. You are too young to have this happen. I will pray for you. Again I am sorry this happened. It is good it was only 1A that is curable from what I understand and they usually don't find this cancer at such an early stage. However,it is still worrisome and a hard thing to go through especially when you were trying to have a child. All my love and prayers to you. Bea
can't remember it all but here's part of a poem

"Crying a little is no good
You must cry til your pillow is soaked
Then you can get in the shower and splash splash splash
Then you can go to the window and laugh

and if people look up and say
hey what's going on up there
you can say
ha ha ha ha
happiness was hiding in the last tear
i wept it"