Ovarian Cancer Community
Does anyone have an incisional hernia from ascites?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

My mom got an insicional hernia after debulking surgery and her chemo tratments have not improved the ascites. It is getting worse and her abdominal hernia is worse. Has anyone experienced this? What should we do?
I understand that hernias are quite common after OVCA surgery. I just had double umbilical hernias repaired, and I had my debulking surgery in 2007.

As to what you should do, speak with Mom's doctor and see if he feels that she should be referred to a surgeon, or just watch the hernia for now.

Speak to him about he ascites, and her current chemo, even if it's just to put your mind at rest.

I know that you're a very caring daughter, and you come to us for help frequently and that's wonderful. That's what we're here for.

Good luck,
Jane
hi i just saw th e doctor on friday-   after 6 months of finishing the chemos treatments, concerned about my weight gain etc, he   ordered a ct scan - he mentioned i may  have a hernia- my debulking  surg was in jan 2009. i'm not sure what  comes next if they discover a hernia- what then?
have you had ascites? That is what has been the problem with my mom. her hernia is very evident. She had debulking surgery July 2009. Ive read these hernias could become a problem.
that's the fuild in the stomach? i have a lot of fluid drained  before my surg,
shortly after they diag.  the hernia- i noticed it about 2 weeks ago- then my hsb said something about my weight gain, so thats when i went to see the m..d he ordered a cat scan- i 'm very concerned because my ca125 went from 14 to 26,
before surg and chemo is was  in the thousands. i got the same chemo combination your mom is getting. thats what i am wondering if they discover one what happens then? do they go in a repair it.?-i should  e mail my m.d and ask him? but it takes a couple of days for  them to respond to the  email