Ovarian Cancer Community
Does pain get worse during chemo?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Does pain get worse during chemo?

I have recurrant ovarian carcinoma with mets to liver, spleen, vaginal wall and perituneaum. I am 41 i am having palliative carboplatin, i had the first one two weeks ago and an due for the next one on Tuesday. My question is: I have noticed the pain from the vaginal wall tumour is getting worse. Does this mean it is getting worse and the chemo is not working?
Also my Oncologist is reluctant to tell me how long i have left to live, i asked him did i have maybe 2 years and he said maybe?
What are the statistics? How long do you think i have? Can what i have, just all of a sudden gallop ahead and the end come quickly?
I was first diagnosed June 2005 with grade 3c ovarian cancer. I had radical hysterectomy followed by 6 cycles of carbo/taxol. I was symptom free for 12 months before my symtoms (symptoms) returned.
PLEASE CAN A DOCTOR just give me a clue as to how long i have left
I am so sorry for what you are going through, and I wish I had answers for you but, I don't.  No one on here can tell you how long you have and if you really think it has gotten to that you need to push your onc for the truth.  Statistics can't tell you that either.  They are just numbers and you are not a statistic.  We all wonder if our disease could advance so quickly that we wouldn't see the end coming and we just never know.  Your Dr can give you a clue as to how much time you have and I would get him to answer you honestly.  However, if he thinks you have maybe two years than who knows?  There are advances in OVCA treatments everyday and they may stumble onto something that will cure yours.  Good luck honey and I will pray that you find some peace of mind and hope for the future.
Jan
I couldn't give a better answer than Jan gave above.  Not knowing what we have ahead is the hardest for me. I will tell you that my father had very advanced metastatic cancer. It was found so late his doc gave him 3 months.  He lived 8 years and had a quality life. Anything can happen.  My heart goes out to you. You are not alone. Marie
Allison .. I had a very similar experience to yours.  I am very sorry that you are going through this.  My PetCT showed cancer in the same spots as yours and also showed additional tumors in the lower and upper bowels.   My CT scans were clear but when my CA125 reached 886 a PETCT was ordered.  My doctor was very upset with the scan results.  I had been researching during my CA125 rise.  While in the office with the bad news I asked my doctor for a surgery.  He would not go near my liver and said that he specialized in the pelvic area and would not operate on me.  I found a doctor in Las Vegas through my resources at ovca.net.  Long story short, I had a secondary cytoreductive surgery with complete debulking.  It was a very hard surgery with many complications including a stay at a rehab.  The surgery was in Sept. 07 and I started Gemzar/Carbo late Nov. 07.  My CA125 went from 1440 after my first treatment down to 13.9 after my 4th.  Tomorrow I start my last treatment.  The reason I'm giving you such a detailed backround from me is because I'm here!!!!!  Don't listen to statistics!!!!  If your doctor is not where you need to be with your disease find another opinion .  I went clear across the U.S.  I'm from VA.  I continue to get my Chemo from my doctor here and he and I are managing my disease.  I still keep in touch with my surgeon in NV.  There are options for you!  I agree with Jan.  There are advances with OVCA treatments everyday.  (((HUGS))) ... Cindy