Ovarian Cancer Community
Doxil and Ca-125

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Doxil and Ca-125

Hi, has anyone had a rise in there ca-125 while being on Doxil. I've had 8 treatments of carbo/taxol. My ct-scan is clear thank God! My ca-125 is at 42 and my Dr. started me on Doxil. I have had 1 treatment so far and 5 more to go.I have had no hand and foot problems but feeling so nauseaous. I was told that my ca-125 might go up. Has any one experienced this. Thanks for any advise. Hugs and Prayers to all!! Terry
1 Comment
Hi Terry,

Yes, my CA 125 went up while on Doxil, and then it seemed to be stable for a while until I eventually stopped it.  I have heard many women say their CA125 goes up for the first few cycles of Doxil.  One of my doctors told me this is because as the chemo is killing the cancer cells, they break into smaller pieces.  Even though they are dying, a CA125 still sees it as many more pieces of cancer in your body.  It will take a few cycles for the cells to die out, giving you a more accurate CA125 reading.  Glad you aren't having the hand/foot syndrome.  I hope that continues.  Did your doctor say for sure it would be 6 cycles of Doxil?  What if your CA125 comes back down to the normal level before then?  I'm just asking because it can be hard on the heart, and it seems like your doc wouldn't want to give you any more than necessary.  

Good luck to you.  Prayers for you, as well!

Gail