Ovarian Cancer Community
Dull pain in back on left side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Dull pain in back on left side

Hi, I've wrote in before with complex cyst in ovary.  Waiting for one more ultrasound before deciding what to do - but what concerns me today is this dull pain on the left side in the back that started about three days ago.  It's not super uncomfortable but enough to get me worried why it's there.  Any ideas? As always, thanks.
Hi there,
I have the ache in my back as well, but mine is on my right side the side where my cyst is located.
The back ache must be common with having a cyst, especially as a cyst grows.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Lori
Hi there!  I just had surgery 3 weeks ago to remove a large endometrioma and my left ovary.  The week before the surgery, I had horrible pains on my lower left side and in my lower back (I was pretty much pain free before then, with the exception of some cramping during my period).  The pain was terrible - it would wake me up at night and nothing would relieve it.  The heating pad helped somewhat, but as soon as I took it off, the pain would come back.  It turned out that my growth had doubled in size in a matter of weeks and was probably putting pressure on my nerves, kidneys, etc.  I am not saying this is what is happening to you, but that is the situation I was in.  I had to have emergency surgery to remove the growth.  Please do not panic!  Your best bet would be to go see your doc and tell him/her what you are feeling.  They will probably do an U/S to see if the cyst has changed size and then treat you from there.  In all honesty, as scary as surgery was for me, the thought of getting that damn growth out made me feel better - I could not have spent another night in that kind of pain! I also found that deep breathing helped a lot.  I have issues with anxiety, so when I was feeling my worst I would focus on my breathing and that helped relax me a little.  Try not to worry too much and know that you will feel better once this is all resolved.  Best of luck to you :)
I know what you mean about the lower back pain.  Mine would come and go, but for the last couple of days it has been pretty constant.  I am due for another transva us on April 17.  I hope I can hold out that long!!  
~Tascha
Yeap I had the back pain and pain down the left leg and in the left hip and groin - the side of the cyst.  I am 7 weeks post op today!!  (hooray!) and I have not had the back ache or leg ache since the cyst and ovary were removed.  All my aches and pains now are op related and all in the uterus and remaining ovary.  Alice
My cyst is on my right side, but I had my left ovary and 90% of my right one removed 12/21/05.  My pain is on both sides, but more so on the left.  I am wondering if the cyst is pressing on the nerve that affects the left side (if it has grown that much since there is plenty of space for it now).  I know about refered pain so that may be what it is too.  Who knows, I just don't want to have this pain any more:-(
~Tascha