Elevated CA-125 Findings
My wife was diagnosed in late June 2002 with Ovarian Cancer.  In July 2002, an 8-pound tumor was removed as well as a tumor from her colon.  Two months later, while healing at home, I had to rush her to the hospital where it was found that the cancer had mestatisized to her liver.  She had a Port-o-Cath inserted about her right breast and went thru 8-months of exhaustive chemo. In 3/03 she was declared cancer free. In 9/03, the cancer resurfaced and she went thru 10-weeks of aggressive chemo. In 1/04, she was informed that the chemo had no effect on the tumor.  She was denied RFA surgery by our insurance company. She elected to take chemo via pill (21,000mg per week, 2-weeks on and one week off for 7-sessions). Her CA-125 was 930.  Two months later it was 827.  Yesterday, while seeing her oncologist, the CA-125 showed 1,820.  She is being placed on Topotecan started 10/1 for a daily 30-minute session once a week for 4-weeks.

My question is how dangerous is a CA-125 reading of 1,820.  As her husband, on the internet, I've learned that a normal reading is 35 and yet I have also seen it mentioned that readings have been as high as 10,000.  I am very concerned for my wife who also is in the medical field and is an RN Surgical Nurse in the Main OR or a major hospital here in Sacramento, CA.

Thanking you ahead of time.

strtrodder
She'll be starting on Topotecan on Friday, 10/1.  Thanks for the info.
I am a cancer survivor I was diagnose in May 2000. After my hysterectomy my CA125 was under 10 and my oncology still made me go throug 6 cycles of chemo. I pray for everyone that is going throug chemo and for their families. Good luck to your wife and if you need any support you can alway write to me I will more that happy to help out.
I am a forty year old woman.  I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in June of 2003.  At that point my CA125 was around 1500, but I did not know it then.  I had a complete hysterectomy and they removed two very large tumors.  They also left cancer on my colan and my bladder.  I went through eight sessions of chemo with pretty good results.  After my last chemo my CA125 went down to 30.  I was excited.  It is now September 2004 and my CA125 has been increasing ever since.  I am close to 800 now.  I am going for a catscan soon to see what is going on with my body and there is talk of more chemo possibly 6 more sessions.  My husband and I are fine with this idea because we want to beat this thing.
Thankyou for your input.  I'll keep youy posted.
A related discussion, Is a reading of 1560 high for a CA 125 test? was started.