Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Enlarged ovaries

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Enlarged ovaries

Last week I had my yearly pap done.  My Dr discovered my ovaries were enlarged and sent me to have an ultrasound & transvaginal exam.  I called a couple days ago for results and the nurse said they were normal.  My symptoms would include unrination frequency - some bloating - upper leg pain - severe pain during intercourse - constant fatigue - alot of belching.  I am 64 years old - having had no surgeries - other than appendectomy - My father passed away with colon cancer and my sister has had cancer twice, but not colon cancer.  I see my Dr at the end of the month - but am wondering should I be concerned and ask to see a ob/gyn or should I just relax, since they said the ultrasound was normal.  My ovaries are not normal, if they are enlarged and my Dr during the pelvic exam said, they were very easy to find because of enlargment and at my age they should be very difficult to find.
Hi There,
It sounds like you have had a good evaluation. It is always reasonable to get a second opinion on your exam if you are worried. Your internist sounds wonderful but an ob gyn may have more experience with the pelvic exam.

Also with your family history, be sure that you are up to date on your colonoscopy and endoscopy
best wishes
I have been having stabbing vaginal pain and abnormal uterine bleeing for well over a year now.  I have been to the doctor and she removed polyps, cysts, and fibroids and told I have enlarged ovaries.  The doctor said that should stop the pain and abnormal bleeding which it has not.  I had a hysteroscopy, laparoscopy, d&C, and pap smear.  The biopsy of a lesion above my bladder came back normal.  Is it normal to be told the same day that the biopsy results were normal.  I have periods that often last from 9-16 days and leave for 7-20 days.  Sometimes my bleeding is so bad I have to wear an adult diaper along with 2 pads.  I have been checked for anemia and the results always come back normal.  Half way through the day I feel like I'm going to die.  I get dizzy and feel like I'm going to pass out and never come to.  I've never fainted but the feeling is very strong and gets worse after I eat.  I was also told I am vitamin D deficient.  I am very frustrated because I feel like no one is listening to me.  The vaginal pain can be so intense that it feels like I'm being knifed or raped by several men all at once.  My Father passed away last April of Small Cell Lung Cancer, my Mother is in Remission for Throat Cancer and two Aunts are in Remission for Breast Cancer.  I am very concerned.  I am a black female with P.C.O.S. and pre-diabetic.  I am also obese.  I have never dated and married my husband the day I agreed to meet and marry him as per my religion.  I get dizzy when I'm on my period and am frightened that I have Cancer and just feel the symptoms early as did my Mother.  M Father ignored his.  I am already 31-years-old and have been told it will be difficult to have children because of the P.C.O.S.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  My sister also has P.C.O.S. and many of the same problems I have but not to the same severity.
Hi there,

Your first task is to find a doctor whom you like and who listens to you. that will be the most important first step on the road to feeling better. It is hard to sort out the many parts of your medical story. however, i am struck my how understandably concerned your are. sometimes it takes many visits, discussions and examinations to understand what is going on. That is why having a doctor whom you trust is the first important step.

Your gyn problems do not in any way seem related to throat cancer, breast cancer, or lung cancer.
You may have a fibroid uterus that is causing you so much bleeding and pain. But at your age, it seems much too young for you to consider removing the uterus. there are medical interventions than may be helpful. You should ask your gynecologist about  the following:
-use of oral contraceptives to help with bleeding
-the use of embolization - blockage of the blood vessels - of the uterus]
-use of ablation of the lining of the uterus

when you have completed childbearing, if you still have pain and bleeding, the full removal of your uterus is an option.

best wishes to you.
My mother was told today that she has enlarged ovaries.  I immediately went on the internet and panicked because everything was linked to ovarian cancer with enlarged ovaries, After reading your post, I feel more relieved but still worried. She has always taken care of herself so I am so confused. I still continue to panic as she and I are very close.
Hi There
you should make an appointment to go in with your mother to talk to her doctor. You should ask for reports and explanations. It may just be a variant of normal. Without more information , it is hard to say. best wishes to you