Ovarian Cancer Community
Ensure Plus - Tube Feeding
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ensure Plus - Tube Feeding

Has anyone used Ensure Plus (or Ensure) for tube feeding.  Mom had "Jevity 1.2" while in the hospital which is just like ensure but with no flavor and had some special fiber and prebiotics.

Was wondering if Ensure Plus is just as good
Related Discussions
5 Comments
Blank
158061_tn?1202681926
You need to compare the calorie's and mineral composition.  The fiber is there to decrease the chance of diarrhea, which is a side effect of some tube feedings formulas. You could call the hospital and ask to speak to the nutritionist.  What formula did they suggest your mother be on?  More than likely over the time she was in the hospital they used a couple.  Thoughts are with you
Blank
The nutritionist didn't even bother to come back after talking to her.  Basically she's been on TPN for months, then they finally did a PEJ (J) tube and started her on Jevity 1.2 (also by Ross).  Esentially it looks the same as Ensure (both by the same company but ensure plus has more vitamin and mineral percentages) but Jevity had FOS which is supposed to be some prebiotics to help create natural bacteria and also fiber.  Ensure plus dosen't seem to have any fiber in it.

Anyways the note on discharge said Jevity or equivalent at the store.  Since no stores sell Jevity, I'm assuming that means Ensure :)

Just wondering if anyone had experience taking ensure via a tube and any suggestions.
Blank
158061_tn?1202681926
Ensure does work, and it is a tube feed used in hospitals.  If your mom does develop diarrhea you may need to add some fiber, believe it or not, metamucil is fiber.  The calories are important and need to be equibable.  Try it and see how she does.  
Blank
great thanks!  I just wanted to make sure because the Jevity had fiber and FOS in it and it kept her regular.  This is important because for months she barely had anything and then with the high amounts of dilaudid pain medication she gets, I always fear constipation.

Blank
158061_tn?1202681926
your welcome, your mom has a great son, I think about what a gift you are giving her.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank