Ovarian Cancer Community
Fallopian tube cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Fallopian tube cancer

I just had robotic surgery for endometrial and a surprise fallopian tube cancers. The Endo was a Stage 1A Grade1-2
The Fallopian Cancer was a Stage 1C Grade 3.
It was a complete hysterectomy, omentectomy, pelvic and paparotic lymphadenectomy, bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. It is recommended that I do taxo/carboplatin Chemo 6 treatments 3 weeks apart.
The reason being that the peritonial washing had cancer cells.
All the lymph nodes (24), omentum and staging biopsies were negative.
I am not convinced to do the Chemo and want to be tested every month with a CA 125. (at least for the next 6 months and then every 3 months as recommended)
Will the tests show any new cancer in time for treatment? Your opinion is appreciated.

This discussion is related to Fallopian Tube Cancer confusion re: treatment.
Chemo is standard procedure for stage 1C and above.  You want to give yourself the best chance at fighting this disease?  Studies have proven that chemo does add to the life expectancy for those diagnosed stage 1C and better.
A CA125 does not always detect cancer growths, and may not be elevated until later stages.  Often early stage does not elevate your CA125.  
Scans cannot detect the microscopic cells that the chemo might destroy.
Hi There,
I agree
Chemotherapy is the standard of care.
You have a grade 3 which means poorly differentiated or disorganized and rapidly growing cancer.
Grade  of cancer is a very important prognostic factor
the risk of recurrence increases with grade.

fallopian tube cancers , unfortunately,are never confined because the tube opens into the peritoneal cavity.
So the risk of spread from a stage I fallopian tube cancer is much higher than from a stage 1 ovarian cancer. In an early ovarian cancer, the cancer can be deep inside an intact cyst wall where spread occurs with rupture of the cyst or if the cancer grows through the wall to be present on the surface of the surface.

For fallopian tubes , even for a cancer on the inside, it is the function of a fallopian tube to move fluid through it, so there is a constant transit of materials and spillage of the contents of a fallopian tube into the abdomen.Fallopian tube cancers also usually occur right at the fimbriated end of the tube - that is the open end that sits on top of the ovary.

Wikipedia has good pictures of this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallopian_tube

I know it is a hard decision, especially if you do not feel sick
best wishes

best wishes
Thank you - your comments give me a better understanding in making my decision.
Thank you - your comments are most helpful.