Ovarian Cancer Community
Feeling your cyst move???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Feeling your cyst move???

Okay, so I went to a nurse practitioner at the on-campus health center (I'm a college student) with the only symptom of incontinence.  She did a pelvic exam and found a mass and I was referred to a gyn/onc.  He found a mass near my right ovary measuring 12cm x 11cm x 9cm.  He said that due to my age (24) he was going to put me on Depo-Lupron for 2-3 months to try to shrink the cyst so that he could remove it safely without causing damage to any of my organs.  I researched the Depo-Lupron and figured for short-term I could handle it.  So I had my first injection and got the typical mood swings, longer period, and hot flashes.  

But then about a week and a half before I went back to the gyn/onc for my second injection, I swear I felt things moving around in there.  I had a feeling of pressure on my far left side, but it didn't really hurt, just pressure.  Then over the course of several days, the pressure moved slowly from the far left side to just to the right of my belly button.  

I told the gyn/onc and he said that I was actually feeling my organs moving as the cyst shrunk slightly and moved around.  In the first US/TVUS, they only could find my left ovary.  In the TVUS this time, they couldn't see either ovary.  I was told not to worry, as the cyst is just blocking their view as it had moved around.  Is this normal?  Has anyone else felt this?
Good for you for researching the drug first.  I felt my organs moving around while my serous cystadenoma was growing, only it wasn't diagnosed yet.  That was one of my complaints over a year.  So, it sounds logical that the doctor would tell you they were moving.  What kind of cyst?, Did he tell you?  And... how much did it shrink?  Sounds like things are going well and you have a good doctor.  Good luck, keep us posted.
It's a fibroid, he said probably benign, but of course we won't know for sure til it's biopsied after surgery.  It shrunk, but only about 1cm all the way around, so he is thinking the surgery will have to be moved from early Aug to at least Sept.  It's now measuring 11cm x 10cm x 8cm.  It's hard for me to visualize that, so yesterday I went around my house measuring things in centimeters lol.  It seems that a plastic cup is pretty near the original measurements - you know, one of those clear 50 pack disposable cups you use at picnics?  I guess the good thing about having a fibroid this big is that I am expecting to go down a pants size or two after surgery!
LOL
LOL - I love it when we can look at the lighter side.

11 centimeters is just barely over 4 1/3 inches - 10 is 3.94 inches and 8 is 3.15 inches - That's about the size of a quarter squeezed grapefruit "in fruit measurements".  Mine ended up being a very large banana.  

I haven't heard of dermoids getting that big before, how do you feel?

It has been a while!  In between running all over 10 counties for my new job and starting summer school and doctor's visits, I haven't been on much.  The gyn/onc is now thinking fibroid b/c of the MRI results and said the CA125 level of 112 was typical of fibroids.  I'm not sure about the CA125 thing, but I have a lot of trust in him.  He is one of the few docs I have found that will DISCUSS things with me and answer all my questions as if they are worth asking.  (Rather than tell me it's too complicated for you to understand, so just do what I say.)  He is also to be the surgeon.  I find out for sure at the end of next month when we are going to schedule the surgery.
Darn it, I did it again, I always get those two confused when I type.  I had a dermoid in 94 so it always gets in the way... must be the oid - I meant to say I never new fibroids get that big (actually my dermoid was that big - grapefruit size) maybe that's what did it.  Shoot, now everyone is going to know I am blond!  LOL
Hi Fae,  Good to hear from you again!  So why does the Doc think fibroid versus cyst/mass?  It's been a while!  MV
I'm feeling fine... except for the fact that I have to pee every 45 minutes to an hour.  And the hot flashes and mood swings from the Depo-Lupron.  Mine's a fibroid though they think, not a dermoid.  Found out it's also about the size of a stack of CD's 8 cm high lol.
Sounds like you are in good hands Fae!!!  Hope to see you on the Battalion site!  MV
A related discussion, not sure was started.