Ovarian Cancer Community
Fibroid tumors
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Fibroid tumors

I went for my yearly obgyn visit and I have been having problems with my cycle for about three months now. She sent me for an ultrasound and a biopsy and the tests came back as having 4 fibroid tumors with the largest one the size of a grape. My question that I forgot to ask my dr is what are the chances of these fibroids turning into cancer. I am having a procedure in August called an Endometrial Ablation and then having a Mirena incerted for birth control. Any information to put my mind at ease will be greatly appreciated.
Related Discussions
3 Comments
Blank
154765_tn?1237251544
Hi,   I have a fribroid on my uterus.Im going for a ultrasound next week and they can grow the size of a watermelon.....My OBGYN told me fribroids most of the time is benign nothing to worry......Is your uterus is enlarge? Do you get pressure on your bladder go frequent urination?.......This is what I do...
Blank
No, I just have irregular periods and heavy bleeding. When I am about to start I cramp real bad. When I went to get my ultrasound she had a hard time finding it. I just worry about the word tumor.My mom died of breast cancer and you know worry worry worry. Mine are all benign but I was wondering what are the chances of them becoming cancerous. I guess I need to talk to my dr.
I am going to have a procedure Endometrial Ablation, that is where they destroy the lining of the uterus. I guess there are several kinds: Electrical, laser, thermal. I don't know what kind yet she will be doing. I have to go 1 week before procedure to see her again.
Blank
The work 'tumor' throws up a lot of red flags, but fibroids are rarely cancerous. Something like .1 percent of them become malignant. I just had one the size of a baseball removed. Prior to surgery everyone (three doctors and two ultrasound techs) thought it was an ovarian cyst, but they found it was a fibroid when they did the laproscopy. I don't know anything about endometrial ablation, but do some research and jot down all your questions for your doctor. Informed patients always fare better.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank