Ovarian Cancer Community
Fibroids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Fibroids

Hi all,

I posted awhile back about u/s findings in regards to a cyst that won't go away and is causing pain.  Today I got a copy of all my u/s reports from the past 4 years.  

The transvaginal u/s shows a consistent cyst for the past 2 years with internal echoes and septation.  It started out at 2cm in 2003, then 2 months later it was 3cm and now it's 1.5cm in 2005.  

All of these measurements my doctor tells me are small but it appears to be causing me great pain most days of the month.  He refuses to take it out because "it's small".

The u/s also shows a consistent fibroid.  It started out at 1.6cm in 2002, then 1.3cm in 2003 and now is 1.0cm in 2005.  

Again my doctor told me it's small and nothing to be concerned about.  He also said that fibroids are hardened muscle...if this is true (or atleast in my case) why are they shrinking?  

Intercourse is painful, I have trouble emptying my bladder and I've noticed some changes in my bowel movements.  I realize that there can be other reasons for these symptoms, however I am wondering strictly from a gynelogical point of view can this cyst or fibroid cause pain or problems with their consistency and size?

When I had the u/s done I was told by the tech that I had a few fibroids but no other ones were mentioned by the radiologist report of the u/s...odd.

Can anyone relate to my situation or give me advice on if my doctor is correct in saying that these cyst and fibroids are too small to cause concern.  How does a doctor know just by an u/s if it's malignant or benign? I have a slightly elevated CA-125.
I had a dozon or so fibroids 2 years ago, and they were pressing on my bladder.  I didn't have any problem going to the bathroom, but they were causing me to have a continuous UTI infection.  I also at the same time had a complex cyst that my doctor felt needed to come out.  I had a hysterectomy to take care of both problems at the same time.  Luckily for me the pathology report came back benign on the left ovary, so I got to keep my right ovary, so I did not do straight into menopause.  If your fibroids are causing you problems you can take birth control pills, have a d/c, or they can freeze them.  The only reason I didn't do any of these things is because I had to take care of the complex cyst.
Yes, I can relate to you.  I have been complaining to Dr.s for years, (Military Dr
Fibroids come and go with your monthly cycle, and most women have them and don't know it.  Some have them and have a lot of pain with them.  In my case I had so many and they were all tangled up together, so when 1 one move they would all move.  I also got a lot of grief from my insurance company when I decided on the hysterctomy.  The only reason they finally approved it, is because of the complex cyst.
Thanks for the input and for sharing your story.  I hope you update me after your appointment next week.  I cannot take birth control pills because I have kidney disease which has caused me to be hypertensive and am on medication.

My gynecologist has referred me to a urologist to rule out any problems from his point of view before he'll go any further with me.  I am frustrated because it takes so long to get to a specialist (me 9 weeks!)

Today I was so uncomfortable that I thought of calling the urologists office and asking for an emergency appointment...the ER has even crossed my mind a few times just because I'm so tired of waiting, only to be sent for more tests and nothing is being done in the timeline I want it to be.

Also, my having kidney disease, I cannot take pain medication, except for Tylenol (occassionaly) and that doesn't even begin to touch the pain.  A heating pad is my best source for relief right now...if only I could get a cordless one!  ha ha

It's nice to know that I am not the only frustrated one out there.

D-fly
D-Fly, during your 9 week wait, can you get a second opinion from another OB Dr.?  
Also, do you know what type of Fibroid you have?  I don
I didn't know fibroids could come and go either...I always was told they were hardened muscle.  That is why I posted my question about mine shrinking.

I am going to a family doctor on Monday next week and I plan on asking her for a second opinion regarding all this.  

If nothing comes of that appointment than I will call the urologist's office and try to get in sooner.

Trust me, I'm learning to stand up for my health and being my own advocate.

I'll keep ya updated and you please do the same.

D-fly  :o)
They come and go with your monthly cycle.  My doctor said that most women have them and don't even know it.  Some women like me,
had so many at one time, that they were causing me a lot of pain, and puching on my bladder.
D-fly, Just wanted to update you on my Dr
Hi Debby,

I went and saw a new doctor on Halloween.  She wanted me to get all my records and send them to her, so I dropped them off yesterday.  Once she has time to look over them and make a decision she said she'll call me for an appointment.  

Seems that for the past 2 years my uterus on u/s has continued to show to be tilted and bulky...suggestive of multiple fibroids, however only 2 are noted...hmmm.

I am hoping this new doctor will have some answers.  When I go for my next u/s I am going to a different lab, that way perhaps there will be a different opinion that will help resolve my problem.

Thanks for keeping in touch.

D-fly  :o)
Please let me know what you find out with your new Dr. I wish you luck in finding answers. It is so frustrating.
Yes it is frustrating and I will keep you posted when the magic day comes that someone with a degree knows what the heck is going on!  :op

D-fly