Ovarian Cancer Community
First PET/CT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

First PET/CT

I'm going for my first PET/CT scan and blood work after my surgery/diagnosis. I am super nervous about the results!!!  I've never had a PET or CT scan before.   How long does it take for the procedure and how long before the results come back?  I'm hoping that some small bit of information will help calm my nerves.  

---marie
A PET scan is different than a CT.  Both involve drinking liquid (not great but okay) and both involve IVS,, A PET scan is about  10x more expensive than a CT.. and more accurate but insurance companies balk at paying... A PET scan is more enclosed if you have claustrophobia ask for xanax or something... Most CTS are open ended... The procedure itself is short... results well here in Costa Rica they are immediate in the states it depends on how fast they choose to do them.. Don't worry its a breeze compared to some of the stuff they do to us... Ronni
Something extremely important to remember with a PET scan is to avoid all carbohydrates (including fruit, veggies like carrots, etc)  before your test.   If you eat carbs, you stand a very good chance of have a false "negative" .. carbs sort of hide the cancer.  You want an accurate reading.  I am scheduled for a PET/CT this Friday at 8AM, so tomorrow, Thursday, I will eat only protein (eggs, meat, tuna) and veggies like green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, salad with oil/vinegar (no prepared salad dressings).  I work for oncologists and the girl that schedules these tests for our office gave me a list with all of the things to avoid.  You will need to drink lots of water in the hours before your test.  Hydration is very important.  They will give you a "drink" and you will wait for  about 45min to 1 hour.  You are put on a table and the table slides through a large tube .. it truly isn't bad and over quite quickly with no side effects.  Good luck ... Judy
Just read the list of foods again, and it said stay on a low-carb diet.  No refined sugar, all fruits, fruit juices, raisins, beets, cantaloupe, cereal, rice cakes, breads, carrots, corn, kidney beans, muffins, potatoes, pretzels, chips, rice, tortillas, granola, oatmeal, pasta, peas, yams and all sodas.  It's just common sense.  I avoided all ice cream and candy as well.  I will make up for it after the scan :-)  Judy