Ovarian Cancer Community
Fluid around the lungs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Fluid around the lungs

Hello,    Does anyone have experience with having fluid around the lungs? Does this mean the cancer is spread to the lungs? How often do they have to drain the fluid? How long after Chemo treatment does the fluid subside?  Sorry lots of questions , we just found out about the cancer and havent really been able to ask the dr lots of questions.

michelle
There can be many reasons for someone to have fluid in their pleiral space, infection, viral, irritation of the plueral lininng of the lungs and yes cancer in the lung(s). You should see what the Cat Scan of the chest showed if she had one. If the cat scan was negative for any suspicious masses blood work would be able to give the Dr's an idea if this fluid is an inflamatory response.
Good Luck
I had a tiny pleural effusion that grew to large after my surgery.  Since it did not resolve on its own, they had to drain it.  The pathology report came back negative; so, it was assumed that it was a reaction to my surgery.  So far, I've not had a recurrence.