Ovarian Cancer Community
Follow up after Prophylactic Oophorectomy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Follow up after Prophylactic Oophorectomy

I am BRCA2 positive and had a prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy 12/02. I am not getting a clear answer about follow up after this surgery. I know that peritoneal cancer is rare, but I still have concerns.  The CA 125 test was ordered at my request.  What about a transvaginal ultrasound?  My physician's opinion that by the time the tests detected anything that it would be "too late."  This seems like a pretty hopeless answer - and one I have difficulty in accepting. I am also a longtime breast cancer survivor - mastectomies and chemo in 1976 and 1980.