Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Free fluid around ovary

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Free fluid around ovary
Hi.  I am relieved that I found this forum. I am very scared. I am 5 weeks pregnant but at 4 weeks, an ultrasound revealed too much free fluid around my left ovary and in the pelvis.  The dr. saw a sac which he thought was a corpus luteum by the ovary.  He also saw a sac in the womb.  The day before I felt a pinch by the left side and I had very slight discomfort.  I was sent to the hospital and my dr. inserted a vaginal needle and tapped fluid behind my womb.  He said it was straw coloured - no bleeding.  I have been on bedrest since but I have no idea what this free fluid is.  I am worried because everywhere I look on the net, I see references to ovarian cancer and leaking cysts causing the fluid.  I am to repeat the ultrasound next week and remain on bedrest til then.  I only have discomfort at times, especially when I lift my left leg or walk.  No fever, other pain or significant spotting.  No tenderness to the touch.  Can you advise me?
hi There,
It sounds like you are being evaluated carefully. It is common to have some fluid in the pelvis. it could represent a cyst of pregnancy that leaked. those can be very painful. usually the symptoms will abate in 2 to 3 days. getting a follow up pelvic ultrasound is the right thing. also I imagine that the fluid that was removed will be sent for analysis. if there are any malignant cells (which would be very unusual), the analysis of the fluid will show that.
best wishes
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker
Ovulation Tracker
Ovulation Tracker