Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Free pelvic fluid and enlarged blood vessels

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

I have been having a sharp pain in my lower left abdomen for a couple of months.  I do not have any vomiting or diarrhea.  My primary care physician ordered a series of tests including an ultrasound, 2 CT scans and blood work.  The ultrasound came back normal but the CT scans showed a small amount of free pelvic fluid on the left side as well as enlarged blood vessels around my left ovary.  My doctors are at a loss as to what is causing the enlarged blood vessels and the pain.  They ordered blood work, which came back normal.  They want to refer me to a GI specialist but I am not completely convinced that it is not a gynecological problem.  Can you offer any advice?

Thanks!
Katie
Dear Katie,

The ultrasound is the most accurate test for the uterus and ovaries. A small amount of pelvic fluid is normal. You can see that after ovulation.
enlarged blood vessels in and of themselves is not an abnormality.
there is a congenital condition of varicosities of pelvic blood vessels (just like having varicose veins of the legs.
I suspect this is a red herring.

if you have persistent pelvic pain with normal scans either:
it is a neurological problem
or it is a functional problem of the bowel 9irritable bowel, spasm).

It is important to be sure you have a normal colonoscopy..
if your pain is cyclic and related to your menstrual cycles, another option is a laparoscopy to look for endometriosis.
take care