Ovarian Cancer Community
Grade One Tumors

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Grade One Tumors

Just wondering if anyone else out there has a grade one tumor? If so, what types of chemotherapy have your doctor's put you on and what have you had success with? I know that in theory, grade one (well differentiated) tumors don't respond well to chemo, so this seems like a really redundant question. I'm going Monday to talk to my doctor's about more chemo, and wanted to know what kinds I should ask him about. I will also be asking about Avastin...has anyone been on this and had success?
Thanks in advance...
Becky
Hello Becky,

Can't help with answers from experience but this may be of interest re Avastin-

http://patient.cancerconsultants.com/CancerNews.aspx?DocumentId=40885&Keywords=cancer,news,information,treatment,Avastin®,Ovarian,ovarian%20cancer,recurrent

Best of luck with your treatment,

Hugs,

Ruth x
My tumor was grade1, but I was never officially staged.  It was found on accident when I had my ovary removed for endo.  Because my ovary was removed with a lap my oncologist was worried that I had a possible leak.  At that point I would have had to wait 4 weeks to be staged since I had just had surgery.  He said regardless of the staging I was going to have to have chemo anyway.  He also said he trusted my obgyn who did not see anything, but endo.  I had also had a lap a year before that and all pathlogy had come back clear.

He wanted to do 6 cycles carbo/taxol.  He really struggled with this and felt like he might be over treating me, but decided to treat as if I were stage 3.  On the second cycle 10 minutes into the taxol I had a slight allergic reaction.  I wanted to challenge the taxol, but he would not let me.  He did not feel like my case warranted taking the chance.  At the point I was given the choice to do carbo alone or do carbo and gemzar.  I chose to do both.  

My ca125 post surgery was 65.  I went down to 18 after first cycle.  Down to 10 after 2nd.  Back up to 16 after 3rd and did not keep track after that.  I was still having my period so they felt that could be making the number flucuate a little.  

I had the complete surgery after chemo.  All my pathlogy came back clear.  My washing also came clear.  There was some question about my remaining tube , but the pathlogist determined that all the damage on was from the endo.  

The good thing about about stage 1 is it is slow moving and the bad thing is it does not respond as well to chemo.  I wish you luck!  Please let me know waht you find out about Avastin.
I just read below that your sugery was canceled!  I'm so sorry.  I hope you get some answers on Monday!  It is so unfair that you have to deal with this when you are so young.  Please hang in there and let us know what happens.  
My tumour was a grade one stage one tumour, they managed to remove it all at sugery but I was given chemo anyway due to the fact that it was attached to the bowel, after chemo I also went through six weeks of radiation therapy as the tumour was localised and they wanted to kill off any remaining cells that were left on the bowel the doctor called it a "bib and brace" treament they were to hold up each other.

The chemo I had was the standard first line treatment of carbo/taxol I had for cycles of the dual drugs and two cycles of carbo only as I had a bad reaction to the taxol. I am off for a checkup next week so we will see how we are travelling.

Good Luck on Monday

Jenny