Groin Pain
HI, I have been experiencing some groin discomfort on & off for a few months now, and I was wondering if you can have groin pain from an enlarged cyst on an ovary.  I recently found out that the cyst I have is 5.5cm, and the groin pain seems to come & go with my cycles, & they're both on the same side.  I'm scheduled to go to have the cyst removed in a couple of weeks due to pelvic pain & discomfort I've had, but I'm torn as to whether to have the entire ovary removed or just the cyst itself.  The doctors feel very confident that the cyst is benign based on cat scan/ultrasound & a CA-125 blood test they performed that came back negative.  I understand that most "functional" cysts are benign & there's a 99.9% rate that it's not cancerous; however, I'm still worried.  Thanks for any info you can give me in this regard!

Linda
Welcome to the site!  You are right, 99% of ovarian cysts are benign.  Groin pain is a classic symptom of an ovarian cyst.  As to the removal of your ovary, the other ovary will take over.  You are in good company here as many women have walked in your shoes, myself included!  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
K, thanks a bunch for your prayers.  They say these cysts will come back 9x out of 10x, but I thought I'd like to have the bare minimum surgical procedure done at this point & forego having the entire ovary removed, and take my chances just this once that perhaps another cyst won't be as persistent as this one has been.  I've read that if the ovaries are removed, you run the risk of heart disease or osteoporosis or having to have hormone replacement therapy--I didn't realize the other ovary would take over if you just take one out.  I'm still not 100% sure which way I want to go on that one.  Any advice would be appreciated!  :-)
May I ask your age?  
I had one ovary removed at 17 and have been fine...the only thing is, if you develop a problem on your other ovary (like I did 24 years later) you've only got that one and then you have some big choices to make.  I didn't have a choice at 17 to save the ovary because it was enveloped in a large dermoid cyst...they had to take the ovary and the tube.  Now I cling to my one ovary for all it's worth.  If ever you can save an ovary (without risk of cancer)to me it's a good route to go...you never know what is going to happen down the road.  That's just my opinion based on my experiences...maybe someone else will offer you a different view point.  Good luck with it!
One more thing...complex cysts CAN resolve on their own...mine did! If yours doesn't resolve on it's own, they don't always have to take the entire ovary...I know someone on this board is running around with only ten percent of hers...I just can't remember who!  =)
That would be me.  However my 10% did not kick in (I am 45) so I have menopaused.  Because of my age and such a small portion being left it just could not do the job.  However if you are young and have no children you should be just fine.
~Tascha
Wow, thanks for the feedback!  I'm going to be 45 years old soon, and I have two beautiful children (a girl & a boy), so it's not a matter of wanting anymore kids.  Heck, I KNOW I don't want anymore children; in fact, the doctors are pushing to have my tubes tied while they're at it!  But, I like to have nature run its course.  I'm figuring at my age, the eggs s/b slowing down a bit anyway, although the Dr. said I'm definitely not menopausal based on his findings during the ultrasound.  No fibroid tumors or anything of that sort showed up; other than a cyst that's been on my ovary for quite some time.  In fact, I had two of them & the one that grew to over 5.5 cm probably ruptured the smaller one, and since I'm experiencing groin pain & problems with sex, we've decided to have the cyst removed.  Thanks again for your ideas!  

Linda
Ah..ok.  Pain changes everything!  I was/am very lucky and have no pain with my fibroids and even before my cyst resolved I didn't have a symptom.  

Tascha's got the wee little ovary!  Ok...it's you!  I won't forget now.  =)
Yeah I mean I got it that you weren't in favor of it!
Trying to do 27 different things here....
Scuuuuuse me for saying this, but I would NOT have a tubal, especially at age 45. If you search around, you will find out that a lot of the women on this site (and other sites) are very opposed to tubal ligation. Myself included. I strongly believe as well that they should be contra-indicated when you have a history of ovarian cysts.
Hey how funny is this, I am 45 and have two kids a girl and a boy!  Glad you found the site!
~Tascha
Hey Tascha--that is TOO funny!  I'll bet your kids aren't the same age or even close to my kid's ages, though!  Mine are 13 & 5!  Hmmm, I'm thinking the dang cyst that was hanging out on my ovary was preventing me from getting pregnant in the first place since it took me soooo long to conceive.  What's ur thoughts on that one?
Hi Katie, you're absolutely correct--I am NOT willing to have tubal ligation unless it is medically necessary.  My motto is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  I'm looking to have the bare minimum surgery done at this point to get rid of the 5.5 cm cyst that seems to be wreaking havoc with my groin & causing other discomfort.  Thanks for your ideas!
I've been having groin pain in my right side for over a month now. If I   set to long it will cause my knee, and down the leg to hurt also.I have read several of your comment and there's are all on the left side.
I'm 77yrs old, but have had surgery for cancer of the utern in 1972 which they took out the utern but left the ovary's in.
can you give me any answers to what might cause this problem
my e-mail is ***@****
I would very much like some information before going to my DR.

Thank you June