HELP GAS PAIN FROM LAPAROSCOPY
Hi, I had a laparoscopy done yesterday and I was okay last night, but TODAY I AM EXPERIENCING TERRIBLE GAS IN MY ABDOMEN, THAT (LIKE THE OTHER LADIES HERE) SHOOTS TO MY SHOULDER. OH I BEGGING SOMEONE TO HELP ME. THE PAIN IS HORRIBLE. I JUST NEED THIS GAS TO GET OUT OF ME. I KNOW IT'S NORMAL, BUT I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE. PLEASE TELL ME A SURE FIRE WAY TO GET RID OF THIS GAS. I CAN'T LAY DOWN FLAT ON MY BACK BECAUSE THAT MAKES IT HURT MORE. I'M GOING TO TRY GAS-X TONIGHT, BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW IF MAYLOXX HELPED THEM? MY DOCTOR SAYS I HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE PAIN, BUT I CAN'T. I CAN'T. PLEASE RESPOND.  
Try heat packs alternating with cold packs, about every 20 minutes..   I found the cold packs quite helpful.  Even just a bag of frozen peas, wrapped in a small towel.
I know, it's a terrible pain.  
Also, I found if I wiggled around it helped get it moving.  I mean, I know it's painful to move but just a bit of twitching the legs and arms and hands and feet while you lie there.
Also do lots of deep breathing.
You poor kid, I hope you feel better soon,
Best wishes,... Katie
PS keep taking the pain pills too.  Don't think you can tough it out, take some meds!
(( )) Hugs.
I know what you are talking about.  That pain is obnoxious.  I was on 2 percocets every 6 hours and Toradol every 8.  I had to be in a sitting position, even when sleeping, with a heat pad behind my shoulder and left back for 3 days.
I don't think maalox and the other gas meds will help.  The gas is in your peritoneum, so it just has to be absorbed by your body.
You could also have some post op gas, but that's usually not bad enough to take gas releif meds.
I would eat stewed prunes in the hospital and when I got home to keep the heavy meds from backing my bowels up.  Try walking a little, and very slowly, if doc says it's okay.  That will help the gas get absorbed into your body and will keep you from being constipated.
I really hope you get some relief.  Sorry for your pain.
Nursemommy34
I'm so sorry your having the horrible gas pains. They are a *****! The only thing that relieved my pain somewhat was to sit in recyliner with my arm (whichever shoulder is hurting) raised over my head. I slept in the recyliner for two days like this. It's not comfortable on the bum, but it helped with the shoulder pain. I hope you find some relief soon. Paula
Do keep up on the stool softeners or something to get the bowels moving. You don't want all the "stuff" backed up along with the gas that's trying to escape. It's a balancing act with the pain meds. They give you temporary relief but slow down your other end. I couldn't use the pain meds which was probably a good thing. You should be feeling some relief by tomorrow. I'm so sorry. Gas pain sounds funny but it isn't.
Moving around will help.  Can you walk a little?  Just be careful and hang on to something.  Don't want you getting dizzy or falling.  The movement will help with the gas absorbing and also with getting your bowels going.

Good luck and hang in there!  Good to see you so soon!
Lori
My pain was so bad when I got my tubes tied years ago. The gas would rise up to my collar bone area. It felt like I'd been hit by a semi-truck. Walking helped some and raising my arms high helped some. Mostly it took time to absorb on its own. I feel for you and hope it goes away fast. Marie
How long does it take for the gas pains to go away?
Hi ,
I know how bad those gas pains can be !! I had a lot of relief from drinking strong peppermint tea every couple of hours . Hope you get relief soon . Take care love Angie xx
try drinking ginger water...boil a little water, grate fresh ginger and drink...Hope you let out a big bang!!!
A related discussion, laproscopy gas pain releif was started.