Ovarian Cancer Community
HPV vaccine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

HPV vaccine

I was reading that the vaccine, Gardasil
There is going to be lots of debate over this one!

I am not convinced it has been tested thoroughly enough.  

Gov. Rick Perry (R.) of Texas is pushing it. HPV vaccine has only been tested for five years on 100,000 ten year old girls in Africa. No one knows what will happen in the five, 10 or 20 years after the vaccine has been administered.
Merck makes Gardasil, the HPV vaccine. Merck is investing millions to get states to make Gardasil mandatory. It stands to make billions from the vaccine.
In Texas, Merck
Just thought you maybe interested in the following article.
   http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/girls-to-get-cancer-vaccine/2006/11/29/1164476248942.html

This has been approved for young girls aged 12 upwards here in Australia. It's recommended that women still continue to have regular Pap tests.

Hope everyone is doing well....Helmar...
I personally think it's a great idea, although I know there is much debate about the whole thing. I don't think that giving a "vaccine" to a 13yr old girl is going to make her any more sexually active than she would have been anyways. When I was 13, I wasn't even thinking about sex, but I do know how times have changed. This vaccine will not prevent pregnancy, which I guarantee, is the only thing girls are worried about when  they become sexually active. I think that's where much of the debate is coming in - whether or not it will make girls more sexually active. Anyway, I think it's a great idea - if we can prevent a large number of cases of cervical cancer, I'm all for it.  Just my opinion though...
Becky
I agree with AnotherKatie, Where is is the shot for the boys??

I have had HPV and stages of cervical cancer. I was married for 10 yrs and he wasnt faithfull. I had the LEEP done in oct 03 for 8 lesions. I now have regular paps and HPV is negative on tests. It doesnt seem to be be something that can never be resolved (if caught quickly)

However, I have a 13 yr old daughter and I will not have her vaccinated at this time. She is no where near sexually active (mentally not there)
I have two little girls, I also have HPV. I have had a leep done because of severe dysplasia. I just don't want someone telling me I have to have my kids vaccinated for this, I look at this as a personal decision to be made by the parents Not by some politician.
I have to add, that I agree that it should soley be the parents decision to have it done - not up to anyone else.
Becky