Ovarian Cancer Community
Has anyone tried N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC)?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Wondering if anyone has taken NAC to clean out body of toxins and free radicals.  I am thinking about doing this after I complete 6 chemo cycles in hopes of preventing possible recurrance.  I am open to all feedback...Tks
  • Resveratrol (2 replies):
    I asked my oncologist what he thought about resveratrol,...[more]
Yes, while not on chemo. I was taking it but not like I should. I think it should be taken 3x a day. Good for glutathione. Grape seed extract (95% proanthocyanidins) with resveratrol would be another to add. Cod liver oil good to take while on chemo and off. Need those fatty acids, vitamin A and D in there. Keep inflammation at bay. It goes on and on. We try our best to beat this or to grow slower. Best wishes. How are you doing on your chemo and how are your counts coming down? It will be great when you're finished.
Be well,
Helen
Thanks for the suggestoins and for asking bout my chemo.  Have just completed my 4th cycle and still feeling very very good.  My CA12-5 started at 111 then dropped to 33 then 13 then up to 16.  Onc did not show any concern that it went back up a little and so I am not concerned either.  Don't put much faith in this test but did ask that a much more thorough manual check be done since there is no way (xcept CT or other scans) to see if anything is growing while on chemo.  
I live in a country that has very little supplements and natural health products, so buying things like NAC or grapeseed extract is impossible and have to ask someone to buy for me in the US and bring it back.  So any other suggestions you have I am open to as I am preparing a shopping list of these products.
Hi Kimchee. Where do you live? Glad your counts have gone down so well and its not so bad for you!!!
I live in Thailand where it's very humid and average yearlong temp is 95degrees!!!
NAC is used in ERs for tyenol overdose it seems to increase levels of glutathione which cannot be increased directly through oral pills
it seems to make me feel better after liver damage AST ALT and surgery
I had some red blotches under my skin  where the nurses missed the blood sample and it's healing today

I'm not a doctor
You are posting to an old post.  Unfortunately both of these women have lost their battles with Ov Ca.  It is always suggested that you start a new post when you have questions.