Ovarian Cancer Community
Have appt in 3 days

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Have appt in 3 days

I had a routine pap smear and my doctor felt my uterus was a little large so she sent me for an US.  They found complex cysts in my ovaries. Here are the results:
1. Uterus 3.9 x 4.1 x 3.0 cm fibroid. Uterus is a venous echotexture suggesting possibility of adenomyosis in addition to a fibroid
2. R ovary:  Complex, mostly cystic 8.9 x 6.5 x 7.1 cm mass. Differential dx considerations include endometrioma, demoid, ovarian cysts altered by prior infection or hemorrhage and less likely ovarian neoplasm.  Follow-up sonography in 6 weeks to confirm resolution should be considered.
3.  Left ovary: Complex 3.4 x 1.6 x 1.0 cm fluid collection which appears to be nuclear in capsule.  This is most likely cyst.  Follow-up sonography would be useful to confirm resolution.

Trascutaneous songraphy was performed first, then, to better visualize the adnexa and endometrium endovaginal sonography was obtained.  Information for endovagional sonography:

Uterus is retroerted.  It measures 8.5 x 6.4 x 6.1.  It is heterogeneous in echotexture.  A hypoechoic mass is present posteriorly.  This displaces the endometrium anteriorly.  The endometrium measures 7 mm in thickness.  No endometrial fluid or focal abnormal endometrial masses are identified.

Adnexa:  No free fluid collections are seen.  There is flow in the noncystic portions of both ovaries.  The right ovary contains a hypoechoic mass with internal echoes.  The mass has nodules in its wall.  No septa, fat, or calcifications are identified.  The left ovary contains a fluid echogenicity mass which appears to be subcapsular.  No septa or mural nodules are identified.

End of Report

Additional information:  The gyn called me and asked me if I wanted to wait the six weeks.  I have a history of Thyroid Cancer so I said, "No, I'd like a referral to a specialist right away".  I am seeing a gyn oncologist on Tuesday.  My doctor also suggested I have a CA-125 test which I did.  I had my period the day of the test (early in my cycle).  The number was 237 (which I know is higher than the 35 cutoff).

Please share any thoughts and/or recommended questions I should address with the doctor next week.  I am a single parent of two children and want to be an advocate for myself.  

Thank you very much for your time and attention.  I really appreciate it.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Raised CA 125 levels are suspicious. There is need for confirmation. CT scan or MRI can be done to know the extent of the tumour and whether it is invading adjoining structures. Also the mass in the uterus needs further evaluation for confirmation of adenomyosis.
Hope this helps.
I hope you went to the gyn - see a gyn-surgeon-oncologist. Your number is too high - mine was 290 and I had stage 3 cancer.  But not all tumors are cancer they claim.  I would say the right ovary probably has to come out because of the size.  Be prepared - you will need help with the kids especially surgery recovery can be difficult 2 weeks plus to recover and about 5 days in the hospital max.  Ovarian cancer can be fought - I am on 2-1/2 years now.  If you have it you can get disability for you and the kids who are not out of high school.  Ovarian cancer is like an automatic and you can get disability quickly especially if you are high stage (like 3 or 4).Drawback is medical insurance.  Check into any short term or long term disability insurance if you have at job. I got my social security disability approved in 3-4 days.  You can start application online.  You need to get copies of all your medical records - surgical report, pathology report, blood tests, and these records you will need to apply to Social Security for disability - you can go to their office and get it done there - you would need birth certificates of children.  Money go directly to bank.  The money helps.  After two years you get Medicare ins. for you automatically.  Good luck to you and your children.  
Referral to a gynecologist-oncologist is a really good move.  Only way to really tell if a mass is cancer is by removing it.  If Lapryscopic (sp?) surgery is available, also the way to go as it is usually an outpatient or overnight stay.  

good luck to you