Ovarian Cancer Community
Hernia Question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Hernia Question

I could not find a hernia forum to post at medhelp.

I am wondering whether anyone who has hernia? The last CT scan stated that my mum has hernia on both sides of the groin. Her hernia lump comes and goes. But just a few days ago, she find that one side of the hernia lump has not appeared for a long time while the one of her left side seemed to be a permanent fixture which cannot be pushed back . It is now the size of a very big egg. She did have a low grade fever a few days ago but is now okay.

I am not sure but I think the lump is getting bigger by the day. Could this be something else like lymph nodes or something sinister? It is really bad timing as today is New Year Day's even and the clinics would be closed till Wednesday. The only place where my mum could seek medical help available is the emergency department in the hospital.

Should we seek immediate medical help or wait till Wednesday which we have scheduled for a CT scan, CA-125 test and an appointment with the oncologist?

I know that I would only probably get the 'real' answer after a proper check-up but I am wondering whether anyone has similar experiences?
I originally had a hernia, which is what led me to the doctor in the first place when my tumor was found and I started this journey.  I'm afraid I won't be to much help to you, though, as I never experienced one that was a permanent fixture and wasn't able to be pushed back in.  Is it giving her any pain?  What about discoloration?  Is it red, or bruised?  I'm not sure what to tell you about going to the ER.  If she has any discomfort at all, then yes, I would say it is in her best interest not to wait until Wednesday.  How does she feel about going?  Sometimes peace of mind is the best medicine there is.  If it would make you all feel better, it might be worth it to go and have it checked out.  If it is nothing, then the worst they can do is send you home.  

Best wishes to you and your mom.  Please let us know what you decide to do.

Gail
I have a hernia from my surgery. I had it fixed, but it has come back. I am concerned because if the intestine becomes strangulated, it can lead to gangrene and death. Your mom should go to the emergency room right away. You might google hernia for some of the signs of a strangulated hernia. You and your mom are in my prayers.