Ovarian Cancer Community
Hernia developement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Hernia developement

After 2 weeks of worrying about this knot in my stomach that I could "push" away and it made a lot of noise,I was relieved to find out it was a hernia. Relieved an in that it wasn't a new tumor. So I never even thought to ask my onc if this was normal. It has developed right beside my surgery scar. Has anybody else had this experience? If so will it go away by itself, or will I eventually have to have something done about it. Will ask my onc next week but I was just curious until then. Thanks Chris
Could possibly be an Umbilical Hernia  

Adults:

Umbilical or para-umbilical hernias are relatively common in adults. They are more common in overweight people and in women, especially after pregnancy. Most surgeons recommend they be surgically repaired, as they tend to get bigger over time.

Without surgical repair, there is a risk that some abdominal contents, typically a bit of fat or intestine, will get stuck (incarcerated) in the hernia defect and become impossible to push back in, which is typically painful. If the blood supply is compromised (strangulation), the patient requires urgent surgery.

Incarcerated abdominal tissue may cause nausea, vomiting, and abdominal distension.

Any patient with a hernia that cannot be reduced, or pushed back in, while lying down and relaxed should seek urgent medical attention.

Usually repaired out patient  
Hey there.....like it or not, if you have a hernia you should have it repaired.  It is not a pleasant thought but the possible complications are even less pleasant.  Talk with your doctor and then you two can make a decision regarding the urgency of repair.  Hang in there kiddo....seems if it's not one thing it's another!  Keep us posted.
Peace.
dian
Hi, i know my Mom developed a small hernia from her TAH, surgery.  Its very commong after surgery and scarring for some women to develope and umbilical hernia.  I dont think it goes away so yes its something that needs to be removed if starts to bother you alot.