Ovarian Cancer Community
High Risk For Ovarian Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

High Risk For Ovarian Cancer

In 2005 I had a my uterus removed (it was covered in none cancerous tumors) a few months prior my gynocologist told me that I had HPV and it was one of the high risk strands.  Everything went well after the surgery my doctor scheduled me to come in every three months for the first year and back to my yearly after the first year.  Last year during my PAP test I ask the doctor if I needed to take some meds or anything for my HPV he informed me that there were no meds for me and that I was to old for the one vaccine that was on the market and that the vaccine would not help even if I was young enough because I was already infected.  I went on to ask him If I need to be worried about HPV causing cancer in my ovaries he said that I should not worry about HPV because my uterus was gone so HPV was no longer a serious risk factor in causing cancer in the rest of my female organs.  Having said all that my question, is my doctor correcct or have I been misinformed?
1 Comment
Your dr is correct I think.  It seems to me you are not so clear about the relationship between HPV and Cancer.  My understanding is HPV can cause UTERUS cancer which has plenty scientific supports, let's the reason why the vaccine is out for younger girls to  prevent them get infected by HPV.   I don't think there is evidence HPV also cause ovarian cancer., in that case your dr statement is right.  
So far scientists have not found a cause of OVCA.  Hope it helps!

Peace and Love

jun