How long do ovarian cysts last
Hi:
I have had a rt side ovarian cyst for almost a year now  March it was 2cm, june it was 2.2 cm, beginning of sept it was 3.1cm all shown by TV ultrasound.  sent for MRI at the end of sept and showed cyst being 3.4cm Periods are pretty normal but i have pain on my left side at times where my ovary is. dr says this is impossible.  Can pain travel?  should i be worried if I'm not having any pain? everyone seems to call ovca the silent killer, from what i'm reading, everyone seems to have pain with these and i don't. i'm scheduled for yet another US on 12/14.  Had ca125 and ca119 done in june and all were normal.  is there anything else i should ask my dr. to do? it seems that i have to fight to get these tests but it is my body.  just wanted to know how long i should wait before i demand surgery.
What type of cyst do they say it is?  Not that that matters, it is getting larger and not going away.  Your being checked every four months which is recommended for cysts.  Are you pre or post menopausal?  that impacts how and when they operate on cysts.  However since it is getting bigger you could ask to have it take out, since that is the only way of knowing what it is.  
The pain on your left side could be from your back, that would depend on what would bring it on or aggravate it.  Is it sitting for long periods of time or is it moving.  Does the left sided pain go down the back of your leg?  Hope this helps.  
Don't wait.  Biopsy! Biopsy! Biopsy!  Oh please push for one.  It's growing...it's time to come out.   Sorry...I got a bit carried away, but I'm just throwing my wee little opinion out there.  I have recently lost a dear, dear friend to cancer, so I'm all about TREATMENT NOW.  
Thanks for your replies.  the dr. said that this is a simple cysts and that i am pre-menopausal which is common at this age, is this true? .she said that as long as it does not give me a problem, the wait and see approach is what she wants to do.  as far as my back, the more i use it the more it hurts.
I forgot to say that this pain in my back does go down my legs at times.
I would wait on surgery if i were you.  If you are not in pain than surgery can sometimes make a cyst, or your ovary, worse.  i have had two surgeries on my rt. ovary due to functional cysts, and since then it seems that my right ovary continues to develop a cyst when i am not on birth control pills.  cysts are very common, and if i were you i would continue to watch it very regularly, but not jump to surgery until it is too painful.  I have a cyst on my right ovary again, and i am taking a natural holistic approach to cure this one.  i have been eating a high alkaline diet, vegetables and fruit, and also using castor oil packs for the pain.  You should be able to search for castor oil packs on the internet to learn how to use them.  also, taking vitamins and herbs can help.  i will see how it goes, as I have another ultrasound soon to see if the cyst has disappeared.  But just continue to watch it, and listen to your body always!  take care.
sorry  but this post is almost 1 year old, the cysts described here are probably taken care of now.  read the dates  following the posters name.