Ovarian Cancer Community
How long does the pain from surgery last???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

The title says it all. I'm so sick of being in pain!!
The percoset helped, but apparently I have an allergic reaction to it (itchy rash), so they switched me to Lortab and it doesn't feel like it's doing squat!
I just want to sit here at my desk and cry because I'm so tired of this! (and I'm normally not a whiner... I pride myself on being really strong)
How long can pain from surgery last? To recap, I had a endometrial cyst that leaked endo. It wasn't all removed, at least two patches remain because of where they are located.
I have aches/heaviness in my abdomen, pain from the incision sites (and I was right that one was infected and my dr didn't even listen to me!! grr), and am now getting occasional sharp pains in at least two different areas of my abdomen that I can't even associate with something!
I can't ride, I can barely make it down the hill to even feed my horse in the evenings, I'm tired, and I just feel ready to give up.
Sorry to vent, but I really needed it, and the one person who understands (Mom) is 500 miles away.
Thanks for understanding...
~Marianne
  • pain (6 replies):
    hi all, sorry to keep asking so many questions. after mu...[more]
Marianne,
   I am sorry that you are feeling so lousy.  I understand your desire for the pain to go away, as I am 6 weeks post-op and still have some pain (adhesions or something else we are not sure yet).  Just know that the pain WILL go away.  Just give your body time to heal.  Do not ever be sorry to vent to us.  That is what we are here for.  We are here for you girl!  Kasie
I'm sorry you're still having pain! I'm afraid I don't have any answers about how long it's going to last, though I suspect that it's probably different for everybody depending on what you had done. When did you have your surgery?

I'm right there with you in being sick of all this. My belly button incision is infected, and they had to go back in and snip off the suture knot the doctor thinks was causing the inflammation. Opening it back up made it hurt again. Now I have this little open crater I'm supposed to pack with gauze. They gave me an antibiotic that I had a VERY adverse reaction to (so that's three different families of antibiotics I can't take now), so I'm not taking any antibiotics right now, just putting Neosporin and peroxide on it. I guess we're just crossing our fingers and hoping the infection clears up and doesn't spread. If it does, I guess I'm toast.

Sorry, I think I kind of hijacked your thread there. But I fully understand about needing to vent and just being sick of not being back to normal when you think you should be further along than you are. I wish I could give you better information about how long you might be in pain for.
Oh girl, it takes a bit of time!  My pain lasted about 3 weeks and gradually faded away.  I hope you get relief soon.  Pain can be so exhausting!
~Tascha
HI, I am 10 weeks post op and still having spme pains. Doc says it's scar tissue forming? I read the report of all that happens during a lap. Lots of organs are pushed around and clamped. It's no wonder we hurt afterwards.

Linda J
Yeah, I understand the body parts being shoved around. I still have irritation and spotting from the clamp they stuck on my cervix. (That's just not an area that needs to be clamped!)
I'm betting I'll have more adhesions, since I have pain on the left side where they lasered endo on that side, but one of the patches is on the left ovary, and the gyn left it there because she said she didn't want to damage the 'good' ovary. (If it's got endo, it's not doing that good). But I'm going to bet that in 5 years I have to have another surgery to un-adhese the left ovary from something it shouldn't be attached to!
Yay. *sigh* Talked with Mom and she thinks I should do the Lupron. I can't even really say I talked...more like I opened the waterworks and she listened. I guess the Lupron mimics what my body will do on it's own in about 17 years (given family history). Mom said her menopause wasn't that bad, so maybe this hormonal menopause won't be too bad either.
I'm chafing to get back on a horse again.... at least that's something that takes my mind off all this for a little while.
Thanks for listening, and MmeMulot, you didn't steal the thread... This should be a good venting thread for those of us who just need a chance to blow up for a moment.
~Marianne
I am sorry to hear how much pain you are in.  I don't know if this works or not yet since i am just going to try it myself starting tomorrow...But I was recently at a women's conference (before my own situation arose) and the meeting was conducted by a phenomenal woman who is a breast-cancer survivor.

She told us to take 2 Tablespoons of Red Tart Cherry juice daily to eliminate pain naturally and without stomach upset.  She gave us a website to purchase it from, but i will have to dig to try to find it.  I got some at GNC, though.