Ovarian Cancer Community
How quickly does ovarian cancer develop?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I feel I kinda run the risk of sounding like a hyperchondriac but I'm getting a bit worried that I could have ovarian cancer. The main symptoms I have are pain during and after sex (that will normally last a day or two after) and an increase in discharge.  I first noticed these symptoms around 6/7 months ago.
Recently I have noticed my stomach is quite bloated, even first thing in the morning when it would normally be flat. I also have a strange feeling around my left ovary which is kind of hard to describe but basically like a tingly, hot feeling, though I am not currently ovulating. I've also had bleeding after sex, though I've only noticed this a handful of times and it was a very small amount.
I've had treatment for both a yeast and bacterial infection but neither worked. When the nurse took swabs for these she said my cervix looked sore and like it would bleed easily.
I guess the main thing I would like to know is would ovarian cancer really develop so slowly, bearing in mind I first noticed the other symptoms some months ago?
Since there are 4 kinds of ovarian cancer, it's really hard to say if you should be worried or not because of your symptoms. It's always wise to be on the safe side, though.  I suggest calling your gynecologist and having a vaginal ultrasound. Although my ovarian cancer was missed with my first ultrasound, it was caught just a few months later on the second ultrasound.  Nice and early.  I'm cancer-free now.
Good luck!
I would suggest you not wait....get into your gyn as soon as possible.  Tell him your symptoms and ask for a transvaginal ultrasound to make certain nothing is going on.  Pain during or after intercourse was my primary symptom and I know it is a sign that something is not right....I would usually bleed a little after as well.  It doesn't really matter how long it takes ...what matters is how quickly it is diagnosed and treated.  Make certain your doc takes you seriously...if he pats you on the head and sends you home.....find another doctor.  Do not pass this off as nothing and make absolute certain that if/when you have  surgery it is a GYN/ONCOLOGIST  who performs your surgery.....actually, if you could just go see a gyn/oncologist from the start that would be your best bet!  
Please do come back and let us know how things are going for you.
Peace.
dian