Ovarian Cancer Community
How to decide whether to remove the ovary with a teratoma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I read many posts in this forum.
It seems some ovaries with a teratoma of size around 10-11cm still got to be preserved.
While some ovaries with a teratoma of size around 5-6cm were got to be removed.

Why?
Is the attending doctor's surgical skill a big factor in these different results?
Mine is 7x6x7 cm teratoma.
My gyn doctor did not promise anything. Then what should I do?

BTW, my family doctor asked me book an appointment with a gyn doctor and did not provide any specific information about what kind of gyn doctors to see after she knew the teratoma diagnosis by ultrasound imaging.
I just happened to know that I need to see a gyn/onc doctor, rather than any gyn doctors.
Is she a good family doctor in terms of this?
Can I blame her for this point?

You are wise to be reading about your options for a surgeon.  Most family doctors (and many specialists) aren't familiar with gynecologic oncologists.  There are many factors that come into play when they decide if you can keep your ovary or not.  Your surgeon should talk with you before surgery and discuss each scenario.  Sometimes, when the mass is too large or twisted they can't safely remove it without removing the ovary.  Most of the time teratomas are benign.  However, any complex mass can be malignant.  Ask your gyn for a consult (prior to surgery) with a gyn/onc.  Best of luck to you!
I had a teratoma tumor on my right ovary it was stuck (adhesions) to the back wall of my pelvis. It took a skilled gyn/onc to do a TVH at the same time I had a Mastectomy for Breast Cancer. My teratoma was benign but was causing pain and due to the BC I needed to lose all the estrogen producing things Ovaries uterus and all went.. I am taking femara after the chemo from sept til nov of 09...
Thanks to hopeshell and slee56.
My doctor seems to a person who is reluctant to give out optimistic words to his patients. He talked about a lot of negative possibilites. Actually, if he had said the chance of preserving the ovaries is 90%, I might have been much assured. If the possibility falls within 10%, he does not need to be responsible for his words; but as a patient, at least I would be more optimistic for the whole process.
Fortunately, the result turns out to be good for me.
I am not sure normally how other doctors talk with their patients before the surgery. Some women on this forum said their doctors gave them an optimistic possibility, which made me envy them. You can not imagine the torture I went through; I even considered changing this doctor at the last minute.
Finally, I must say: Life is full of uncertainty
Another thing I agree with what people said on this formum: The most torturing part is waiting. Once the surgery was performed, I has been busy in taking care of myself and searching all kinds of information and have no more time to think too much. lol
Another experience: Accept and ask for help from friends.