Hypercalcemic Small Cell Ovarian Carcinoma
I see that this discussion is not recent (I'm new to medhelp). But I am a 19 yr old girl who was diagnosed with cancer in Aug 2010 (though it was misdiagnosed before surgery) and post operatively diagnosed as stage 4 hypercalcemic small cell ovarian carcinoma. I have unsuccessfully been treated at Sloan-Kettering in nyc since September. I am looking for any information about this disease or any advice anyone may have. Though I physically am not in pain, my last set of scans was very poor.

Thank you for any help anyone may offer.

This discussion is related to help with small cell ovarian cancer.
Hi Katie, I am so sorry someone so young has to deal with this ugly disease. You have a very rare form of OVCA that unfortunately occurs in younger women as yourself. My wife has a different form of OVCA than you and althought it is a rarer form but not as rare as yours. I chose to take her to Sloan Kettering also since it was a rare cancer these large cancer hospitals see these more often than a smaller hospitals because of the volume of cancer pts they see. Ask your gyn/onc if they are doing any experimental trial of medicne for this type of cancer. Johns Hopkins, MD Anderson cancer center and the Cleveland clinic are also very busy and world renown cancer hospitals as is Sloan Kettering. Call there GYN/ONC clinics to see if thet are having any trials. I wish you all the best and never give up.
Kevin
Hi Katie. Our 18 year old daughter has SMCOHT as well. She is being treated at UCLA . There is a Doctor out of the Univ of Alabama Birmingham, Joseph Pressey who may be worth contacting. Knowing what you are going through I wish you strength and hope. Those are the things we can control. Best,
Sam