Ovarian Cancer Community
I had a ovary removed,am i still ovulating every month?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I had my left ovary removed in oct 2001. I just recently got married and we would like to start a family. When i had my surgury my doctar rold me i would only ovulate every other month. well my new doctar said i still will ovulate every month. Is this true? also will it be more difficult for us to concieve (conceive)? Thank You
My MD told me that I will still ovulate every month after having an ovary removed.  Your Brain tells your body what to do.  In this case, it signals to your body to ovulate.  If you only have one Ovary, that will pick up the production for the missing ovary and compensate.

Hope that was helpful!
I had my left ovary and tube removed in September and I got told that the right ovary would take over what the left ovary did so my understanding of it is everyting is exactly the same apart from the right ovary is doing all the work!

take care
nutty xxx
I just wanted to let you know that after the removal of one ovary, the other ovary will begin to ovulate every month rather than every other months as was probably (but not necessarily) the case before your oophorectomy.  

However, the only true test of ovulation is pregnancy.  

My advice is to start trying and have fun!

Good luck!

PFunk
I just reread my post and wanted to clarify that I did not mean to imply that a single ovary was responsible for all of your ovulation prior to the surgery.  Indeed, I meant the opposite.
I had a tumor on my left ovary, and had it removed about 8 months ago.  My OBGYN told my husband and I that we shouldn't have any problem getting pregnant.  We'll we have been trying every since.  We took several of the ovulation test kits and no luck.  They don't even show that I am ovulating.  We are still trying and frankly getting a little upset that it is taking so long.  We have been told that if you want to get pregnant, then STOP WORRING ABOUT IT.  Just have fun trying and you will become.  That is easily said!!  Good luck to all!!.