Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
I have a Teratoma Cyst 10cm?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

I have a Teratoma Cyst 10cm?

I'm only 18 years old and i just found out i have this cyst. I hate going to doctors and have a big fear of needles. I will be going to the doctor next week. they said that it need to be removed ASAP. it is 10cm by 11cm on my right side of the ovaries. Large I know. Is there a good chance i will need to remove one of my ovaries?  About how long is recovery? What can i do to make sure im not as scared?
Hi there,
it is alot to go through at 18 - having to be subjected to poking and proding and the discussion of surgery. very stressful.

ovarian cysts that are un-related to the normal menstrual cycles can get large over time. Most of these non- menstrual cycle type cysts are benign.
The most common type in young women is a growth that comes from the egg cell that contains the normal tissues of the body all jumbled up (as if the egg was trying to create a baby but without the sperm, it cant ) there is hair and fat and other tissues of the body in these little cysts.

when they get bigger than 4 to 5 cm, they can twist and cause pain. then it should be removed.

usually it is possible to preserve the normal ovarian tissue and just take out the cyst
good luck