Ovarian Cancer Community
IIIc clear cell

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

IIIc clear cell

Are there any stage IIIc clear cell ovarian cancer survivor's? I'm starting Avastin after carboplatin/taxol and 3 months remission, then 2 months of etoposide. Alone, scared and trying hard. I do acupuncture, watch my diet and have tried EFT, affirmations, juicing diet (almost put me in hospital), and anything else I find that looks promising, but don't know my chances.

Autumn
Are you saying the "juicing diet" almost put you in the hospital?

I am clear cell, basically unstaged.  I was dx in October '07 and am still going strong.
Teresa
I was initially dx as stage 4 Serous but last week MD Anderson Pathologist looked at the slides and determined I am Clear Cell.  I had 9 rounds of Carbo/Taxol with disease progression--started in Oct 08 with last chemo in May.  

I will be starting on a Phase 1 clinical trial with Doxil, Avastin and Torisel.  Torisel is an mTOR inhibitor that has had a lot of success with renal cancer.  It has been shown that clear cell ovarian and clear cell renal are histologically identical and appear to respond to drugs the same way.  There are several phase 1 trials at MD Anderson using Torisel in solid tumors, many of which are Gyn in origin.

Me?  I am still in a state of shock about the change in diagnosis but at least it explains why I  failed first line chemo. My Gyn-Onc ( at MDACC) was going to offer me the Taxotere-VEGF-Trap trial until the clear cell came back. But with a history of platinum resistance and not a great response to taxanes, she felt Taxotere was unlikely to help me. Hence Phase 1 here we come!

FWIW, I am single ( only child); only relative is elderly father; and I live alone ( except for pets).  I rely on friends for everything which makes it challenging. I dont want to overuse the friendships right now when I am self-reliant as I know I will need them later.  

Teri
(TealOak....my kennel name)
Yes, the juicing diet made me so ill. I think it makes your blood sugar rise and fall suddenly. It's good to hear you are going strong. I need all the hope I can get.
Thanks for your response. I didn't know this about clear cell and renal cancer.

I admire your courage in facing this alone. I have a supportive husband to help. My German Shephard at 14 years saw me through my first carbo/taxol chemos, in fact she insisted on it, and then she couldn't go on and I had to put her down. I sure miss having animals, but in the situation we're in, its hard to imagine putting all the work into training a new dog.
Autumn