Ovarian Cancer Community
ILLINOIS: The Land of Lincoln

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

ILLINOIS: The Land of Lincoln

Tweety you had a great idea in asking where everyone was from. But I am going to improvise a little bit and make it a little more detailed. It has been mentioned a few times lately how many of us there are from Illinois and was suggested that a post be started just to see. So here it is!!!

Chris: I am from Olney, Illinois    A small town in the South Eastern part of the state. Olney is also known as "The Home of the White Squirrels" and that is no joke!!! It is one of only 2 cities in the United States that is the home of a large population of albino squirels. The city police force bears a white squirrel on the side of their patrol cars. And it is a 25.00 fine if you should happen to run over one, or cause one harm. No kidding!

I hope several of you will pick up on this and out of curiosity see just how many there are in your state.

A White Squirrel in The Land of Lincoln
       (it is ok if you feel the need to laugh, everybody else does)
                                       Chris
OK...I'll play but I have to tell you that I'm really a CA girl.  I've only lived in IL for 9 years.  I'll probably have to leave my name in the CA post, too.  That is where my heart is.

Lori: I live in Rockford, IL and previously lived in Villa Park, IL.  We moved here for my husband's job and decided to stay after he completed his residency and fellowship in anesthesiology and pain management.  Right about now, in Feb, I always ask myself WHY?  

We love IL for it's greenery and small towns.  Love Chicago, the "big" city.  I'd live there in a minute.  I haven't seen those white squirrels but I've seen black ones.  Man...$25 for hitting a white squirrel?  I hope they hide during snow storms.  I do think there is a "realness" to the people out here.  

Hello all, I'm also from the Land of Lincoln.

Paula: I live in Sparta, Illinois. I've lived here in Illinois about all my life. We moved away for a few years lived in Corpus Christi, Tyler and Troup TX and Hannibal and New London, MO. I've moved around as a kid, as an adult I want my kids to know the security of staying in one place. So Sparta, IL is now where I stay.
Land of Lincoln is my home too.  

Marie P.:  I live in Peoria. Never have I seen a white squirrel, but I did see a white deer several times. I have family in Sparta.                                                                            
also born and raised in the Land of Lincoln.
Born in Chicago, and now residing in the village of Skokie, Illinois.

Skokie is about 16 miles from Downtown Chicago trivia from here would be movies shot in our home town...Risky Business, Sixteen Candles, The Weather Man, and She's Having a Baby.
Illinois Trivia..State bird is the Cardinal, insect is the Monarch Butterfly, flower is the Violet, state foods are popcorn, and apples, animal is the white tailed deer, tree is the white oak.
state slogans "mile after magnificent mile" and "right here, right now"
Famous people from here to name a few...Walt Disney, Harrison Ford, Burl Ives,  Ronald Reagan to name a few.
strange law still on our books believe it or not. "It is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, or any other domestic animal."
enjoy butterflytc
Never lived in Illinois but all 4 of my grandparents came from a 10 square mile area there in the mid 1850s, Mother born in Topeka, visited there and it is a quaint place, Hugh Lorton {my maiden name} cemetary in Fayette county,  must not be too far from where you live in Olney, Chris, I have been wanting to visit there for years, I found the cemetary outside of Topeka  where my mothers kin were buried, 150 of my roots were there, Her grandfather { Eckard} plotted out the town and had it surveyed by Abe Lincoln, he then donated the land for school and church. The Lorton side is a long story, I have done a serious geneology search on all my roots and what fun it is then to visit those places they lived and worked. Since all my roots go back to Illionois  , can I possibly be an adopted daughter?
Marty I would have to say that you are more of an IL native than any of us!
butterfly, Burl Ives lived about 18 miles from where I live, in a little town named Newton.
I will try to get a picture of a white squirrel and post for you all to see.
                                                   Chris
Welcome to the family!
Chris, albino squirrel's and pets not allowed a lit cigar? what a world we live in
lmao : )

keep smilin'
^j^ butterflytc
Just bumping this up because I know that there are a few more out there from IL.
Still working on the white squirrel picture and will post it as soon as I get it.
                              Love, Chris