Ovarian Cancer Community
I'm 70 and just diagnosed w/ lg. complex adnexal mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

9 cm, right ovary area. I have no family left to speak of, no children or significant other.
I decided that if I were ever diagnosed w/ cancer, I would not seek any treatment except remove the lump [or whatever] laporos.  Extending my time on earth is not an issue for me, but good quality of life is. I have diabetes 2 and do not heal well.
I see the gyn/onc on Wednesday 11/7/12 for that dreaded '1st appointment'; a friend is coming with me.  Though I've read all your relative comments here [thank you], I really don't know what I'm dealing with yet.
And, yes, waiting 'til Wednesday, I've done LOTS of thinking.
Does anyone have any insights or similar situations? I'd appreciate any words. Thanks.
During this time your mind will wander, and I guess at age 70, I think I understand what you are trying to say.  I hope too, to reach age 70, being someone fighting this disease for over 6 1/2 years, just giving up so fast is not in my vocabulary.  Typically you can be only diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer when a biopsy is performed and this is done by surgery.  No blood test or CT scan can determine OV CA, it may suggest, but surgery is the only way.  
I wish you the best of luck, and it is great that a friend will go with you.  Please keep us updated.

Jane
Thank you so much for your input. No news until my appt, at 3 tomorrow...My older friends understand my position; younger friends absolutely do not--they're married w/families so I appreciate their concerns. I do not 'throw in the towel' easily --I've been a fighter since day one.  Depending on the results of a biopsy, I'll have a clearer prospective. Needless to say I'm still in shock and not too optimistic. Never had any problems in this area...again thank you and will post again as soon as I know something.
Please let us know, if you don't mind.  There is alot of support here.  I understand your frustration and just being scared.  I was 39, married when originally diagnosed.  Cancer, and especially when it returns, is tough on a person, a marriage, a family.  

Good Luck!!
No results from CA-125 blood test yet. Just waiting.

Thank you for remembering. I think surgery will not be avoidable--if even just to take out the mass.

Will let you know.  Am not looking forward to the phone ringing.

Mstai
Dear Jane,

good news.  Result of test [CA-125] was 5! So not cancer.  The doc is calling me this afternoon; there is the issue of removing the mass, I think.
[God, if only to be able to pull my stomach in!]
I will keep you updated.
I do feel so much better--what a scare.
Truth is I didn't feel it was cancer. Just that deep personal instinct we can tune into when really soul-search, or body/soul search, know what I mean?
Thank you so much for your concern.  It helped a lot.
Mstai
I am sending you good thoughts, but please know that just because your CA125 is 5, doesn't not mean your mass is not cancer.  But statistically your mass is probably not.  The only way cancer can be ruled out is by surgery and a biopsy, that is the only way, not by a CA125 test.  I certainly hope your doctor did not give you this false hope.  When my mass was 28cm my CA 125 was 27, and when my cancer returned my CA 125 was 7, so this number, to some, means nothing.  
Again your mass is probably just that, a mass but it needs to come out.  You will heal fast, and you will feel better.  Again, please keep us updated.  Wishing you the best of luck.

Prayers,

Jane
Hi, hav just joined this site and saw your post just to let you know my c125 was over 600 a month ago before my surgery and I had full hysterectomy removing 2 tumours 18 cm and10 cm , I was recently told they were borderline so surgery should be enough with monitoring - there is always hope and miracles do happen every day , please try and keep positive xx best of luck