Ovarian Cancer Community
Im so scared!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Im so scared!!!!

I am getting a hysterectomy june 6th they are taking my uterus and cervix.I have cancer in the cervix inner walls but my dr.said he doesnt see anything on my overies. Im alittle worried i had some pain lastnight and went too hospital they found on my left overie a dermoid cyst =1.5 cm on my left a dermoid cyst=1.3 should i get a full hysterectomy. Im 34 WITH 4 kids.the doctor also said when they take my cervix and uterus if they see anything on my overies i will have to get chemo therapy .please i need some answers.
First, am I correct in assuming your are going to a GYN/ONC?  You have a cancer of the cervix and they are doing a hysterectomy, did they do a transvaginal ultrasound or a CT scan of the abdomen to confirm the cysts?  Before surgery with the cysts your permit will probably read removal of the ovaries now that they have seen the cysts.  The only way they know the pathology of the cysts is by biopsy and that is done during the operation.  97% of the cysts are benign. Please don't think I am trivializing anything with my next question, it is one I would as a friend in your situation.  If you ended up with surgical menopause at 34, and were able to dance at your children's weddings, would it be worth it?  You would be able to take hormones, I do believe.  

Chemotherapy is not nice, however it is something everyone reacts differently too, and we get through it. I am on my second round of it.  
My thoughts are with you, have you talked with your doctor or just the one at the hospital.    

If there is cancer present in the cervix and you have ovary involvement with cysts, you have your children, why not get rid of it all and if you have to have chemo it will hopefully take care of it all for you.  We preach getting it as early as possible,  as one lady says on here  You only have one chance to get it right.  This cancer thing is hard to live with, but many are learning how to do it now.  We have many choices now .
The most important thing to know is that Cervical Cancer and OvCa are 2 totally separate issues.  

The most important thing is that the doctor doing the surgery for the Cervical Cancer is a GYN/Oncologist.  The GYN/ONC should be able to speak with  you about keeping your ovaries and/or removing them.  Unless you have or are at higher risk for OvCa they may not remove them.  I can tell you that surgical menopuase is no fun and is more then just hot flashes.....BUT....it is doable.

PLEASE, discuss this matter with your doctor.  
i'm set up to have a full hysterectomy on june 1st. 2009 . i'm a born again christian with tons of faith in my Lord & Savior Jesus Christ, He promises His children that if we believe in Him & love Him everything will work out for the good. with that being said i am still human & yes i'm scared also, but the bottom line truth is,is that we're not here for our own purpose but for His. look up His promises in the bible i think they'll bring you a lot of comfort. i'll be praying for you.
I will be thinking of all you who are looking at surgery .. I am coming up on my one day anniversay of finding out that I had BC that was June 24th 2008. I had both a mastectomy and a TVH at the same time .... on JUly 29th 2008...  I had chemo Sept -Nov 0f 08 .... I am doing better just had my gallbladder out on May 12th.. as it was not working and causing pain. I will keep all in my prayers as that does help a lot... Shar
One way of being cured is by passing surgery.  And because of modern technology and of painless operation, we don't have to be afraid of it.  As long as you have Faith in Him, everything will gonna be just fine. .
Best of luck girl. . . .

buffalo surgical oncologist
First let me say chemo is not what it used to be . what to expect is while you get this treatment you will feel like you need to fall to sleep and you will feel very cold and some feel sick then or after treatment. What I did when I was to have chemo treatment I took two ginger caps every day for 5 days before treatment and 2 caps for three days after treatment. you may feel a little woozy,but you will not get sick.
I had lung cancer stage 3b given 3 months to live. I also had 3 lymph nods in center of chest cancerous. That was 9 year ago and yet today I still take 2 ginger caps a day with other herbs. chemo doesn't hurt it helps.
I had a radical hysterectomy on May 21st. It has been just over one month and I'm feeling okay. I believe finding a great surgeon is key.  My doctor took everything because I had soft cell cervical cancer and it was more invasive. They also took 4 lymph nodes in the pelvic area and stripped the cells around my bladder and bowels.  It was quite extensive but my doctor believes it is important to do.  We had some pretty in depth conversations and he did advise us that the best way to beat cancer is to do it the first time.  If it comes back your chances of beating it our not nearly as good.  We weren't willing to chance it.  My pathology report came back clear after surgery so I am very happy with my results.  I knew I had the right doctor when the painting on his wall said "Chief of Staff" and had a picture of Jesus standing over the surgeons some scripture from Psalms.  My doctor believes God gave him his talent and I believe God brought me to this doctor.  God Bless you shygirl and I wish you the best.
A related discussion, whats the timeline of ovarian cancer stages was started.