Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
I'm terrified I have Ovarian Cancer

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

I'm terrified I have Ovarian Cancer

I went in for a US on June 28th and the woman doing it said I had several decent sized fluid filled cysts on my left ovary and that my Mirena IUD expelled into my cervical canal. I went back to my GYN and he fixed the IUD but mentioned nothing of the cysts so I figured they were no big deal.

About a week later I began experiencing pain on my lower left side and went to another GYN who told me I had a 6cm complex cyst on my left ovary. He ordered me to get another US and bloodwork (just CBC and Thyroid not CA-125) an dif it didn't resolve on it's own that we could discuss surgery options. When I asked if it could be cancer he said it would be unusual for a woman my age (I'm 26). I picked up my medical records to review them and saw that they listed several possibilities of what my cyst could be (endometrioma, dermoid, hemorrhagic) including the dreaded words 'cystic malignancy cannot be excluded'. I went to my other GYN for a 2nd opinion and he said again that because of my age it would be very unlikely for me to have cancer and that they just put that in the report to cover their butts. He said there's no free fluid in my stomach and the cyst is round in shape and not lumpy like cancer usually is. It's also because I'm in pain is why the other one is talking about surgery. I'm just do scared. I have no history of any cancer in my family and have always been healthy.  

Dear Gothique,

Thank you for your complete information. I agree with your doctor. At 26, you most likely have functional cysts . However, with an IUD in place and a history of pain, there is a small chance you could have an infection in the fallopian tube. it is reasonable to get a repeat ultrasound in a month. You should also ask your doctor about cultures to check for infection.
take  care