Ovarian Cancer Community
Immune system

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Immune system

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this.  If not, could someone direct me to the right form.  I would be grateful.  My wife, 53yrs old, is still in the hosptial recovering from surgery on 10/12/07 for stage 3 ovaraian cancer.  The doctors told us the operation went very well , but she will need cemotherapy.  My question is what can I do to help her body keep going while she has these treatments.  Our one friend owns a natural health food store. I heard about a numberr of natural products reported to help keep up the immune system up while taking the treatments.  Any thoughts or help would be great.  I'm off to the hosptial now, so I'll check this forum next time I get home, hopefully my wife with me.  Thank you.
PLEASE check with your wifes oncologist before you buy anything.  Some oncologists think certain herbs interfere with chemotherapy... again check with your oncologist.  Mine didn't want me taking anything except I drank cranberry juice while taking my chemo and more and more cranberry juice everyday... I also drank green tea....

Hoping that your wife feels well soon... my surgery was just 3 weeks ago but I have already had 6 go arounds of chemotherapy... Warm hugs to you both... Ronni
Beabug asked a similar question, not specific to the immune system but to cancer in general and a number of us responded.  In addition this link is to Dr. Goodman's Ovarian Cancer forum in response to Bea's question, it is excellent
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/322295.  The only OVCA that seems to escape chemo is 1A.  All my best to you wife and to you, keep us posted.  
Hi Dave... People are different in how they tackle trying to remain well while doing the chemo. For me, I stay with the fresh produce... plenty of fruit, veggies, grain bread.... pretty much an 'across the board' diet, including some red meat ( my Oncol's. direction)... to keep up the red cells. I don't take any vitamins or supplements, but I do have a great appetite.  Stage 4 dx Feb'04.
Just want to wish your wife a speedy recovery, and hopefully a good and long remission from this beast.  Hugs....Helen...
You are asking about the immune system..>Maitake D-Fraction (www.maitake.com) is the one you want.  (Grifron Pro version).  It is th eonly supplement allowed during *all* chemo by the Memorial Sloan Ketting cancer center and also endorsed by the cancer treatment centers of amercia.  no side effects unless you have some sort of hyper immune system or allergic to mushrooms.  Undergoing PHase II studies in breast and prostate cancer.
Start looking into immune vaccines now while she is on chemo. This cancer goes way beyond our immune system. For instance I haven't had a cold in years or the flu. But eat really good to stay in good shape while doing chemo with less fatigue. More protein, less carbos. Of course the days after chemo she'll want white rice, crackers, etc. Those days I say eat what you can. Eat frequently and small meals. Watch constipation! Don't let more than two days go by. These chemos are bad for that along with the anti-nausea medications. I find bananas very soothing.

My hospital nutritionist recommended lots of green tea, reishi mushroom (all others good-maitake as Alan says), CoQ10, multi with B vitamins. She said no fried foods.

http://www.ivanhoe.com/channels/p_channelstory.cfm?storyid=17180
Thank You so much for your reponse.  I just stopped home to check on things.   My wife seems to be getting depressed already, even when the doctor told her she had an 80% chance of a full recovery,  He told her she was actually ahead of schedule as far as recovering from the surgery.  I;m hoping to get her on this web site when she gets home.  Thank You.
Sorry to hear about your wife getting depressed. I have those days and bounce right back. After surgery, your whole body is depleted so it is not abnormal. And of course, after getting the bad news of ovarian cancer. She should get better. And the more you walk around the better. Rent funny movies. I used to watch the Nanny. Never much liked it until I was home after surgery. Then I told everyone never to call me between the hours of 5 and 5:30 to watch my show. Humor really helps.