Ovarian Cancer Community
Importance of Decadron

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Importance of Decadron

I see a lot of folks talking about taking their decadron as if it is optional, some even discontinuing. I want to make clear that the primary purpose of taking decadron is not to increase your apetite. Decadron is actualy an extremely powerful chemotherapeutic that can by itself repress cancer, without any other chemotherapy. It was used for eons as the primary treatment for leukemia. Unfortunately, the cancer cells adapt over time. Decadron is a primary supressor of the cancer and the additional chemotherapeutics prevent mutation, so please take your decadron as instructed to prevent recurrence.

This discussion is related to hot red face after chemo, decadron?.
Although it may be used as a treatment for cancers such as leukemia and lymphoma, the primary reason for taking Decadron for ovarian cancer patients is because it can help prevent an allergic reaction to chemotherapy.  In some cases, it is used to increase appetite in patients who have a reduced one.  It is a steroid, not chemotherapy.  An ovarian cancer patient should never be encouraged to rely exclusively on Decadron as chemotherapy.  
Gail is correct, my oncologist has always given IV Decadron before any chemo drug to prevent an allergic reaction. The IV is given in a 30 minute drip, and it does give me extra energy all day and I need a sleeping pill that night.

It has worked for 3 years and I've never had an allergic reaction to any chemo drug, thankfully.

I didn't know about any other use for Decadron, so that's new information,
I agree with Gail and Jane...I've never heard of anyone using Decadron soley for controlling their cancer. I was told it was to prevent an allergic reaction as well as to help with nausea.
I used to have to take 5 small pills the night before chemo and they would also give me an IV drip of it the morning of chemo. I just remember being wired and cleaning my house like a maniac at midnight sometimes - it sure gave me lot's of energy!
Becky
1.  Decadron is optional.
2.  Decadron does not help prevent recurrence of ovarian cancer.  
3.  Chemotherapy doesn't prevent mutation of cancer cells, it creates mutation of cancer cells.