Ovarian Cancer Community
Incision is infected, how worried should I be?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

My belly-button incision from my laparoscopy is infected. :-( It started oozing light-yellowish pus yesterday. I went to the doctor, and have to go back tomorrow. She said it's a small local infection, about the size of a pea, so I pray to God it doesn't spread. I'm screwed if it does, because I'm allergic to all -cillins and cephalosporins. The doctor had put me on a Z-pack antibiotic on Thursday because of the inflammation, but it doesn't seem like it worked.

They might go in tomorrow to snip out the suture knot that seems to be causing the irritation. Or they might give me more antibiotics. I'm really scared of the infection spreading. The doctor doesn't seem too worried, but I have health anxiety. I'm scared I made the wrong decision to have the laparoscopy to remove the complex cyst. Even though I know I would have hurt my health more by worrying about the cyst (stress over it triggered a flare-up of my ulcerative colitis), I'm second-guessing myself now that it turned out to be benign and I have this infection.
Is your dr aware of your antibiotic allergies?

Small localized infections aren't that uncommon after surgery.  My mom had one, they treated it and it went away.

It's good that you told your dr and they're aware of the situation, hopefully they will be able to resolve it tomorrow.

Don't second-guess your surgery. Remind yourself that this is a temporary setback.
I have a small localized infection at two sites after my laproscopy last week.
I also had one in my knee after a surgery in 2003, and another in several stitch areas after a breast reduction on 2004.
The little ones are usually nothing to worry about.... Keep it clean with peroxide outside, neosporin or something similar topically, and an oral antibiotic, and you should be alright. But keep in touch with your doc, especially since you have antibiotic allergies.
Thin and greenish/yellow isn't too bad yet. (Bad is thick yellow or green cottage cheese looking pus {sorry for the gross image})
~Marianne
Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate them. Wow, Marianne, you've had to deal with this situation quite a few times! How long did it take yours to clear up?
The knee was because stupid me was being heroic and walking without crutches and too proud to ask for help, and breaking open a stitch. It healed with cleaning and oral antibiotics in about a week. The breast one I didn't know I had until it opened and the stitch popped out, along with alot of nastiness (thick yellow/white pus and yellow serum). I cleaned it, kept it covered and used neosporin, and it healed fine in a few days. The current incisions.... one is healed nearly completely (after a week..yay), one is scabbing nicely, one is red and raised with a thin whitish line down it, and the belly button incision just looks nasty... It's broken open in a corner and there's bruising around it, and just ick. I mean, the belly button's not exactly an easy place to keep clean, is it?
~Marianne
Marianne, how did you apply the peroxide?  Use a wash cloth, cotton ball, sterile q-tip?