Ovarian Cancer Community
Increased 'girth', pelvic mass, elevated ca-125

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I am a 34yr-old Mom of two with 1.5 months hx of increased "abdominal girth" as my ob/gyn called it, fullness in upper abdomen (like I need to sit up just a few more inches to catch my breath and be comfortable--I look about 5-6 mos prego)..went in to see ob/gyn & he felt a "spot" on my uterus--ordered ca-125 and u/s  ca-125 came back elevated and ultrasound showed an ovarian "cyst"--which he didn't mention at exam, along with the spot on my uterus...scheduled for laparoscopy with ob/gyn next week...does anyone know if I should go in to see ob/gyn onc?   of interesting note:   at my pre-op, my ob/gyn told me that I was a straightforward case and he expects to find endometriosis (I am asymptomatic) because I "have a large uterus for someone who hasn't had any children"..at which point, my hsb & I looked at eachother and I reminded the dr. that I have given birth--twice...and noted on my pre-op paperwork on the drive home that he wrote--"increase in abdominal girth, weight gain X 1/5 years"--not 1 1/2 months as it actually has been ...I am wondering if he just wrote down info wrong or actually misunderstood me/wasn't listening carefully...I don't know what is wrong  or going on, but I know something isn't right and/or normal with my body...thyroid also came back normal as did other bloodwork ran--I am learning that I need to be my own advocate, but I don't want to be an alarmist or paranoid
Welcome!  I would suggest that you get a 2nd opinion from a gyn/onc.  Not because of cancer, but because they are specialists in the female reproductive area.  Please try to remember that 99% of ovarian tumors, masses, or cysts are benign.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Sounds like he is not listening to you especially since he said "you have a large uterus for someone who hasn't had any children". I would run to another doctor! I'm looking for my 3rd doctor in this lovely voyage and I will continue looking until I find the right one. Tasha will be along shortly to tell you that 99% are benign (did I spell that right)! Good luck in your journey. :) BTW you are at the right spot, also try hystersisters.
I knew you would be along to post that.... I love seeing you type that because it can always be counted on for you to calm nerves. Happy Saturday!!

I agree with all the other wiser Cysters who have already responded. The only reason I'm adding my voice is because I ALSO started off with a doctor who didn't seem to listen to me, didn't know what was really wrong with me (she diagnosed advanced ovarian cancer based ONLY on the US), and had no empathy whasoever. I questioned her, in response she 'fired' me as her patient, and then I found the most competent, caring, and wonderful physician the second time around.

Get another opinion. Better yet, just get another doctor -- one who listens and puts you at the top of his to-care-for list.
Best of luck!
Annette
Get another opinion from a gynecological oncologist. They don't only see cancer patients, they are specialists in dealing with masses of any type in the pelvic/reproductive area.  They may still want to do surgery, and if there is anything cancerous there the gyn/onc will be the best at removing it ALL and doing a "staging" analysis.  Or they may try meds (Birth control pills or lupron) to see if the endo respons to them.

Remember, most cysts/growths at your age are BENIGN.  Your gyn may very well be correct that you have endo, but a gyn/onc will be experienced at removing endo as well.

Isn't uncertainty the worst?  Good luck!
Thanks a bunch for the vote of confidence!!  Had a great Saturday doing what I love, watching my son play baseball!
~Tascha
I have to agree with the other ladies, my gyn was all set to do my surgery, two large masses/cysts.Then came the curve ball my ca 125 was 123, she said she did not feel comfortable doing the surgery. I completely respected her for basically admitting this was more than she wanted or could handle. I saw a gyn/onc immediately, I think they squeezed me in because I am a nurse.and 1 week later he was doing my surgery.  I ended up with a total hysterectomy( complete) ovaries, tubes everything. He asked me before surgery if I wanted it all removed if it was not cancer, and after being so scared that it was, I told him to take it all.  I have no regrets, I have 3 young children and didn't want to have to be fearful again.  Today is 2 weeks since my surgery, I feel pretty good, I am getting around fine, no hormone issues at all.  It is just hard to be inactive.  Being in healthcare I tell everyone, if you are not comfortable with the answers you get, find someone who eases your mind!!!Good Luck to you,  Shari
Run, don't walk to a gyn/onc and leave the dumb doctor who doesn't read or listen in the dust.
I'm sure I can speak for all who responded to you and even us 'lurkers' when I say please DO post back and let everyone know how you are doing as well as any more concerns.  Best of luck.
You better post after you see the ONC!  They have seen so much more and you are doing the right thing going for the second opinion, hopfully with a Dr. that pays attention!!!  MV
Thank you--I cannot tell you how happy I was when I came across this forum "googling"..:)  I have an appt with an ob/gyn onc on Tues and I was going to cxl because it doesn't seem like my dr. thinks I have much going on, but I think I will keep it--not because I think I have cancer, but because I want another opinion as to just what is going on.. I was reading posts late into the night--got a little nervous when I came across those talking of laparoscopy--I know it is a simple procedure, and I had thought that because it was simple (my dr said it only takes a little while and is non-invasive), I  really thought that I could go to work that afternoon or the next day go to work, gym, etc.. Thank you all---is it okay to post again after I go and see the ob/gyn oncologist?
I miss Saturdays watching my son play baseball, he's now 15 1/2 and into lots of other things. Although he plays football now I don't enjoy that as much as baseball but its still fun watching him (baseball I understand but football is a little complicated). Happy Sunday!!! (I'm off to do some laundry)...