Inhibin A and granulosa cell tumors
Hi folks. Thanks in advance for your insight and support. How reliable and specific is the inhibin A level for monitoring residual disease or recurrence for granulosa cell tumors? Aside from recurrence, what else could cause a post-menopausal woman's inhibin A level to rise to the pre-menopausal reference range 4-weeks post surgery (TAH/BSO) for a stage IA granulosa cell tumor? What else can make inhibin A levels rise besides granulosa cell disease activity? Do adrenal glands secrete inhibin A? If we are stressed and our adrenals are working overtime, could that raise inhibin A level? I'm looking for a logical explanation and a way out :-)! Thanks!
I did a Google search and there is limited info. I wish I could help you more.
Thanks xray2u!! I did the same searching, but the info is limited and somewhat contradictory. Some info says we should monitor inhibin A, others say inhibin B, others say MIS. Thanks for taking the time to help!
Inhibin A can go up in adrenal adenomas and carcinomas(rare) as well from my reading.  I came away thinking that either inhibin A or inhibin B may go up in granulosa cell tumors so that a combined assay like the one at the Mayo Clinic should be used to follow for recurrence.
the normal results for inhibin A & inhibin B protein tumor markers are different for a premenopausal woman and a post menopausal women (surgical menopause included).  So, if you had your both ovaries removed, your numbers would have changed (if you had your inhibin levels tested prior to surgery).  Suggestion:  Have a PET scan of your abdomen as it will show cellular hot spots if you've got a recurrance or they didn't get it all.
i just had a granulosa cell tumor removed 2 wks ago. went to gyn onc. and they do not suggest complete hysterectomy and staging, only inhibin levels and ct scans. when they took my tumor out it was 15x14x9 cm and ruptured. i really would like to know if this sounds right to anyone else. everything i have read says a total hyst is needed. oh by the way im 38 and not planning anymore kids. tlrn