Ovarian Cancer Community
Inhibin B and GCT recurrence question....

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed in 2004 at the age of 32 with a 10 cm granulosa cell tumor of the right ovary which was removed laparoscopically. A month later I had a TAH-LSO. I was told that all my margins were clear and that I did not need any other treatment. I had inhibins drawn every 3 months for the first year, and then every 6 months for the next 2 years, then yearly. My Inhibin B has always come back "Undetectable." I was drawn on January 19th and it came back as 114. I know that in postmenopausal women, it should be <16. My ob/gyn has been in touch with my ob/gyn oncologist and it was reccommended that I wait 8 weeks and at that point have another Inhibin B drawn, another ct scan (I had one on 1/8 for chronic hydronephrosis and stones), and a chest xray. Then I will see my ob/gyn oncologist.

Is the "wait and see" game normal? 8 weeks just seems like a long time to get answers. If it's back - I just want to get it over with!! I have read that Inhibin B can be elevated 5-11months before a mass is even detectable. Does that mean that the cancer has to grow until you can see it in order for it to be treated?? Has anyone else out there had to deal with this? It's just so frustrating!! I don't want to say anything to my family (except my husband) until I have some more answers, but it's making me nuts! I can't realy talk to anyone about it - my husband is in complete denial. I can't sleep and am always worrying.

Thanks to anyone who actually read my rantings all the way to the end! I actually feel better just writing this!

:) Tammy
Hasn't anyone out there had a similar situation?? No responses at all...maybe this is a waste of my time :(
Tammy,

I have had false-positive Inhibin A which at time of repeat was perfectly normal. I do not think you need to wait 8 weeks to have your blood re-drawn, and your doc says this again, ask why.

According to the literature, inhibins can rise up to 2 years before a tumor may be seen on imaging. If your inhibin remains elevated at re-draw, then pelvic MRI with contrast is due.

Good luck; I hope this turns out to be nothing.
Thankyou very much! I am being redrawn tomorrow...Hopefully I will similar results:)